Comparing '86 1911's to todays slabsides.

Hotdog1911

Let's say you purchased a 1911 stock, 5 inch, Colt or Springfield Armory, in 45acp twenty years ago. Where would those guns be today vs. had you bought a Ranger, Essex, Caspian, Para, Astra, Star, Colt double whatever, S&W or Euro 45acp.

What has happened to appreciation and reputation since then? What makes today's decision any different from the decision of 1986?

Jart

Hmmm, '86, and thereabouts.

A minority of us consider that the dark ages.

Gov't issue was drying up, Colt's QC was in the tank and the prices were in the stratosphere, no SIG, STI just starting, no Taurus.

Don't know about Kimber, Dan Wesson and the like - Kimber may have just been emerging from the primoridial ooze to take its place in an underpopulated market.

Colt's reputation once again shines and they've got competition. Things are better now.

ranburr

The guns today are much better. You can thank Springfield and Kimber for the giant leap forward in 1911 quality. In the 80s you really only had Colt, AO, AMT, and to a lesser extent Randall. I'm sure there were a few other players out there that I am forgetting. Springfield had been around in name (mainly M14 style rifles), but not the same company that they are today. If memory serves me, it was the late 80s before SA really started getting heavy into the 1911 game. It wasn't until Kimber started making 1911s in the mid 1990s that you could buy standard production gun with all the mods already done to it. If not for Kimber, I think the popularity of the 1911 would have greatly diminished. You certainly wouldn't have all of the bells and whistles on them right out of the box if Kimber had not come onto the scene.

ranburr

Hotdog1911

Thx for the replies

Aren't 5'' stock 1911 Colts and SA still on top; and the copycats are history?

1986 ancient history? Cool. Don't learn. Go forward and repeat the past mistakes of your elders. Focus on the SS left handed Randal as the exception instead of the rule. Stroke the ego. Who needs quality firearms. There is a focus group out there planning how they are going to seperate you from your money.

tony pasley

I guess that means most of mine are prehistoric then. I did not add a new 1911a1 in the 80's. In 1991 did add a Double Eagle but that was to comply with a no cock&lock rule. At present even that old gun is in its holster on my hip.

Jart

I have a recent 5" colt 1911 - it's pretty nice.

The Gold Cup I got in the '80s was trash.

Would you prefer a Harley made in the last couple of years or one made when they were owned by AMF?

Sometimes the good old days... weren't.