Companies that do NOT make a 1911

TennJed

A 1911 thread with a twist. Now that Ruger has joined the ranks of the 1911 makers, what major semi auto makers do not make a 1911 (or at least put their name on one). Also which of those companies do you want to see make one and which do you think would have the most sucess based on name only. So far I have:

Beretta
Walther
glock
HK
FN

LockedBreech

I can't see any company you listed making a good 1911. Not their style.

Stoeger
Caracal
Steyr
Bersa
Browning (ironically)
CZ
Hi-Point (Hah!)

sigcurious

Thought of another brand that doesn't make a 1911, keltec. I do not think however that people would be running out to buy keltec 1911s.

Palmetto-Pride

Does it seem odd that Browning doesn't sell a 1911 45 by its self. And at those prices I don't think they really want sell them at all. I wonder if that was a special run they had another company do at there specs for them.

Lead shooter

Who makes the the 1911 for Browning? Since Browning is a gun marketing firm whose pistols are typically made by FN, FN could actually be making 1911's.

IMTHDUKE

If I owned those Brownings...you could not fire them...or the first shot cost you around $1000....so they are gun jewerly.

EdInk

I'm not sure if the Browning .22 1911s are actual 1911s, they may just look like 1911s and function like other .22 pistols that simply look like 1911s. (e.g. ATI 1911 .22lr pistol.)

In regards to the OP's question, I don't recall any large handgun manufacturers, not already listed, that don't make a 1911.

MLeake

Honda.

They don't make guns, but then at one time they did not make personal watercraft or airplanes.

Everything they make has good quality control and product support.

TheRaskalKing

+1.

This is an interesting topic. Initially, when I thought about this I was kind of bummed- "Why doesn't HK/FN/Beretta make a 1911? They make great guns otherwise...?

Then I remembered this: http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/?p=20180

This was for April fools day from this year... Glock making a 1911 just seems bizarre, right? Or maybe it doesn't, YMMV.

Not to say that these companies couldn't make a fine 1911, but their style is just a little different, and I'm fine with that. I love my HK, but the thought of an HK 1911 is just weird for me. To each their own, I suppose.

shaunpain

I think there are plenty of great companies that have made 1911s out there so it doesn't worry my pretty head one bit. The great thing about the platform is that you really can't go wrong if you use quality steel and all of your parts are fitted correctly. Well, maybe you could go wrong. I'm sure someone has had a lemon out there!