compact/sub-compact 1911 sugg. (Kimber?)

Carbon_15

Any opinions on the Kimber CDP line. I am considering one of the three sizes for a CCW piece. Are their any other pistols in the $1000 range I should be considering?
Thanks,
Jason

AR-10

Bought a Kimber Compact CDP a month ago. Have not shot it enough yet to be totally familiar with it. Had it to the range four times.

I was suprised to find that it does not have a lot of muzzle flip. It's my third 1911, and shoots pretty much like the full size Springfield I have, which is a lot heavier. It groups better than the Springfield too, although I need to drift the rear sight a little.

The only problem I have experienced with it is the fact that it will occasionally lock open prematurely. That is not acceptable on a thousand dollar gun purchased for carry purposes.

It has that funky plastic mainspring housing. I figure replacing that is about the only thing I can do to "upgrade" the gun and make it a little more mine.

I haven't decided yet whether or not I like the aluminum frame. It makes for a light, comfortable to use pistol. It does not seem possible to polish the feed ramp, and I wonder how it will hold up to the abuse of hollw points slamming into the feed ramp. I have to remember to take off my wedding band when I shoot it. That is to avoid wearing the finish off (and the aluminum) where my ring contacts the grip. Learned this the hard way with my SIG P229. ;)

I looked at a Compact Stainless, But it was lacking night sights and an ambi-safety. And the CDP just looks cool.

I have not shot the Ultra CDP. I wanted a four inch barrel for several reasons.

There are other manufacturers making nice compact 1911s. Springfield cvomes to mind. I wanted a Kimber this time around. I don't have experience with similar compacts, so I can't give you any suggestions regarding one brand or model over another. Just my opinion of one model with less than 300 rounds through it.

Mike in VA

I've got an Ultra Carry with about 1K rnds thru it. I've added the rosewood grips and Ashley Express Big Dot sights (very fast target acquisition, more than combat accurate).

I've been very happy with it. It eats everything I've fed it, is very accurate, and handles well.

It is light, so I find the recoil to be a little snappy compared to a full sized GM, but quite manageable, quick follow-ups are not a problem. It is sensitive to limp-wristing (which is what I suspect AR-10 is experiencing) or hitting the slide lock with the thumb if you don't keep a firm grip.

I use Militec-1 as a general lube, and aside from normal wear -in, there are no visible signs of wear yet. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Ultra/Ultra CDP if you're looking for a sub-compact .45. YMMV, good shootin'

Steve B.

I'm considering a Kimber Eclipse II over the CDP. Eclipse is all stainless steel. See a pic in a thread below. Local gunshop has three of them - full size, pro carry-sized, and ultra compact size. I'm looking for a compact, so no luck yet. Price was around $1000, so not far off of the CDP pricing. I'd rather have a steel-framed pistol, although I'm not knocking aluminum. Just personal preference and would boost my personal sense of security.

Also considering an STI Ranger, although I've about given up on the idea because of the shorter-than-officer's model magazine & reliability concerns with the earlier models.

I like the 4" barrel over the ultra compact because you're not giving up that much velocity, and I'd feel better about the reliability (again, personal preference).

Others are Wilson CQB compact and the Les Bauer Stinger, though they are higher priced.

You might check out 1911forum.com, if I'm allowed to recommend it here.

Master Blaster

Look at a colt defender, its a subcompact bushingless design, with reverse plug. It was designed by a famous 1911 smith for colt. Folks who have them really like them and reliability is 100%.

I myself found a 1995 enhanced officers ACP NIB for 625 back in june. This is an all stainless steel subcompact 1911. It shoots great and after 400 rounds of lead semi wadcutter target loads and 200 rounds of full power ammo I have not had a single FTF or any bobble at all, its been as reliable as my G-26.:p

At the store where I got the colt there was a kimber ucdp for 1100 in the case, I couldnot even look at it for that price.

Do a search on Colt defender here they are excellent guns for $600, with the extra money you can get a reloading setup or lots of ammo.

bad4u

I have no brand recommendations to offer. My current 1911s are a Para P12 (3.5" barrel) and SA Champion (4" barrel). Both are exceptionally reliable with ball, HP and RN reloads.

In general, shorter barrel-length pistols tend to be less reliable simply because the cartridge feed/extract/refeed actions take place in a shorter action stroke. I seem blessed with the P12, since it's been about 2000 rounds since any FTF or FTE with this pistol.

If concealability is the criteria you're concerned with, consider that barrel length makes little difference - especially with IWB holsters.

I think some that complain of excessive muzzle-rise when firing the short-barrel guns fail to recognize that it is lighter weight of the entire pistol in recoil that is the problem. There really is no 'barrel-whip', just the lighter gun rising in recoil as it meets the resistance of your grip on the weapon.

Regardless of brand preferences, I think a Commander-size 1911 (4" barrel) is pretty much the sweet spot for concealability, reliability, weight and pointing compromise.

My SA Champion is a 2001 Loaded model. No malfunctions in 500 rounds shot so far, no cosmetic problems and no QC problems.

Carbon_15

Thanks for all the suggestions guy..keep 'em coming, I'm a long way from a final desision...or $1000+ extra pocket cash.
To clarify, the Ultra CDP hasnt really been on my list to consider, just the Compact (which is more like an Officers model than a compact) and the Pro. I would prefer the Pro since it would presumably more comfortable to shoot with a littel extra to hang on to. My local gun shop has all three. I plan to stop by tommorow with and try the larger 2 in a nice IWB to see if the extra one round worth of grip makes a difference with my build under a tee-shirt and jeans. If the Pro is not more obtrusive I will otherwise be more happy with it. If I think i would be tempted to leave it at home, I will gladly sacrifise the one extra round and full 3 finger grip for the slightly smaller Compact.
I have looked at the Eclipse. My gunshop has a full compliment of them, and they are quite a bit cheaper than the CDP. I absolutly LOVE the look of the Eclipse but the reason I want the CDP is that the "melted" edges dont print or snag under light weight clothing. The edges on the Eclipse seem pretty sharp (which makes for a crisp looking pistol and enhances the shiney/dule 2-tone effect). I know I could have it melted at Cylinder & slide..But. That sounds like another project gun for another time. But how sweet would a melted Eclipse Be!!!

Another quick question guys. How can I remedy the ambidextrious safety on the CDP if I get it. For crying out loud, how many ambidextrious people are there?!?! LOL. I'm not, so thats just one more thing to snag and print. Do I have to replace it, or can I just pop off the left side safety? I have also thought about having my gunsmith cut off the protruding parts on the off side safety and grind/buff it semi-flat. That would look pretty nice if he could match the finish. It wouldnt leave me with stainless pin sticking out of a matte black frame.

AR-10

Being a lefty, I kinda need the ambi-safety.

The safety would need to be replaced or ground down. It is silver colored from the factory, so a matte stainless would work. But why bother? the safety isn't going to print. The butt length is the main thing. As for snagging, the sharp checkering on the grips would probably give you more grief than the safety.

Unless you have large hands, you should be able to get a good three finger grip on the Compact.

Good luck on your decision. Shopping is half the fun.:)

M1911

Carbon-15:

I often carry my Kimber Compact. It's a steel framed model, so it's not light. But with a good holster and belt, it's just fine. I do have an ambidextrous safety. I often use the gun when taking classes, so the ability to operate the safety when shooting left-handed is important to me. And I've never had the safety snag anything.
Mine is the base model, so it isn't melted or dehorned. Still doesn't snag anything. The whole melting/dehorning mania seems to be a fair bit of hype to me. After all, what's the reason for dehorning the front part of the slide and dust cover, when that part of the gun is in the holster anyways? If you like the way it looks, then fine. But I certainly wouldn't consider it to be necessary in anyway.

M1911

Carbon_15

Ar-10, I was going to replace the grips for the first thing when I get it. Any suggestions on some nice high quality rosewood or exotic hardwood grips that dont have such sharp checkering.

M1911, I dont consider the dehorning and melting a neccesity, and I agree that its atleast 74% fad. But I just love the way it looks. I like that week old bar of soap look. Besides, It feels really nice in your hand and wont abrade and knaw away your clothes. Being slender..ok, skinny...at 6-1 135 consealment can be a bit tricky. the melting job actualy goes a long way in keeping the gun from printing or causing my shirt to ride up on the butt and rear of the slide.

Thanks again for all the help, I'm putting a down payment on the CDP Pro tommorow.

CWL

I put a pair of gray Carbon Creations carbon fiber grip panels on my CDP. This made the grip almost as slender as the slide. Much more concealable.

I also like the gray/black/matte stainless combo look better than with cherry grips.