Compact CC Auto wanted

blume357

I'm needing a small auto for concealed carry. I've pretty much narrowed my choices down to either a Walther PPK or a Sig 232. Since I'm generally a 357/38 guy I'm afeared the 380 is too weak a load for what this pistol is ultimatly intended to do. Is there a good 9mm parabelum pistol of this compact size? I've already got a Ruger P95 and it would be nice to not have to stock another size ammo. So, my question is: is there a true 9mm auto that is the equivalent (close to size) and quality of the two mentioned above?

Too many choices too little time. all comments and suggestions are welcome

Thanks in advance,

Blume
(A republican conservative's worst nightmare: A Gun Tote'n Liberal)

Lou22

There are 3 very compact 9mm's that you can consider:

Kel-Tec P11 (about $250)
Kahr PM9 ($550-600)
Rohrbaugh ($900-1000)

The Rohrbaugh is the smallest, followed by the PM9, then the P11. I carry another Kel-Tec model and like it very much, though some people have had problems with Kel-Tecs. I own a PM9 and, once you get past the 200 round break-in, reliablity has not been a problem. I haven't owned a Rohrbaugh, but I guess they're respected firearms. All three are suitable for pocket carry (for the most part). All three are DAO.

Lou

Jkwas

I've been wrestling with the same thing. I like the 380's but have some doubts. Check out the Taurus pt111. I'm kinda leaning toward it, but its DAO, and I want to shoot one first to see how the trigger is.

sageowl

I carry my PM9 all the time, as primary or BUG depending on what I'm doing and wearing. Haven't shot a Kel-Tec as they're not CA approved. Have heard good things about the Rohrbaugh from friends that have them. These "pocket autos" aren't going to do much for you as range guns, but will serve you well for personal defense. If you're wanting to go a little bigger, you might check out a SiG P239 in .357SiG / .40S&W.

blume357

more to it

I'll probably end up going with either the Walther or Sig 380... hell it's just another caliber.... Another couple of 100 rounds to keep for the range and 50 or so for locked and loaded. I was just wondering about this compact size. Since they both are 9mm and one is just a hair longer, I can't see why the pistols aren't closer in size... i guess the whole 9x19 group followed the Browning High power lead and tryed to pack as many Rounds in as possible. My Ruger p95 fully loaded with another 15 round mag on the holster has a little heft to it. Not really suitable for a day at the beach. I really like the DA/SA option on autos... I was always taught to shoot single action with all revolvers and it's taking some work for me to learn to shoot double action.

Besides that, why in the world can't a 380 work in a 9x19 like a 38 will work in a 357?

Lou22

I'm not sure but I believe there are 2 reasons:

1) The 380 isn't powerful enough to properly work the action.

2) Auto-loaders need ammo with consistent case length to set the proper headspace, because of the recessed rim. I think a 380 might not seat properly in a 9mm chamber, though the extracter might hold it in place.

Neither is a problem with revolvers.

3) Also the 380 bullet may be slightly different in diameter than the 9mm.

Lou

cmsgt5

Sig P232

Greetings:
I have owned several 380's, 3 PPKs and 3 Sig 230/232s. I have just one now, the stainless Sig P232 with night sights and a blackened slide by Robar and Hogue finger groove grips. It is a keeper!! I had assorted problems with all the other PPKs, but still own one: PPK, German made, .32 caliber, that also is a keeper.
I also have a subcompact 9mm, XD-9 SC, night sights, that even has a 15 round magazine along with some 10 rounders -- it too is a keeper. It would be the prefereable weapon if the environment got really ugly.
However, the 380 certainly has its spot in my inventory: its profile is significantly thinner than most 9mm SC, (pocket holster or shoulder holster) it is classic in design, shoots very well even with hollow points, and the European mag release is well designed.
cmsgt5

michael t

I would vote for the PPK as will fit pocket better besides the sig just a poor copy of the PPK. :D CorBon is coming out with a DPX round in 380 that should wake the 380 up . Their current 90grHP is a good SD round