Compact Beretta 92FS

Marquezj16

I just bought one this weekend. I did not even know they existed until the person behind the counter showed me what else he had in the safe. I looked up the net for a review or some kind of write up and did not really find much information. So because of the lack of information, I am giving my amateur's review on my Beretta 92FS Compact.

First, the gun is very similar to the military M9. It's just a little smaller and capacity is 13+1. I did not have to use the manual to disassemble for cleaning because its just like the M9. Push a button on the right side of the frame, twist on the left side and the slide comes off easily. All parts have a nice fit and finish. The grip feels thick but comfortable. It feels solid and it's heavier than my full size SIG SP2022. It's really not a very compact gun except the fact that it's smaller than a regular 92FS.

I took it out to the range today. Shot at various distances, 5-20 yards. When I do my part, it puts rounds on the target where it was aimed. The trigger pull on double action is fairly long. Shooting on single action makes it so much easier to hit the target. Recoil was not harsh and follow up shots was fairly quick. Overall,, I was very happy with my new purchase. I will update whenever something new comes up.

Attachments

• IMAG0305.jpg
    IMAG0305.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 936
  • IMAG0306.jpg
    IMAG0306.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 597
  • IMAG0307.jpg
    IMAG0307.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 504

4thHorseman

I bought a new also a week or so ago. I love the gun.
One of the mags would not shoot hollow points. I took it apart and cleaned up the follower and it works good now.
It is a great gun. I want to call it "little" because it is supposed to be a compact, but it is bigger than a Commander size 1911. Again, I like the weapon very much.:)

AustinTX

Not new. They haven't been sold in the US for a long, long time, but a good number of them were just imported. Oddly enough, Beretta USA won't even acknowledge that the Compacts are being sold in the country.

Congrats to the first two posters on your fine new pistols!

ShipWreck

Congrats!

There is actually a lot of talk about this model in the past month, but ya just gotta know where to look. You may also want to check out the Beretta Forum :)

http://berettaforum.net/vb/index.php

They are great guns. They haven't been imported in over 10 years.

I managed to get 2 of them a few weeks ago, actually ")

compactcombo1.jpg

Leejack

Shipwreck, how does the grip size compare to the full size 92s?

Is it friendlier to those with a smaller hand?

Thanks! :)

twhidd

I picked this one up a couple of weeks ago myself. I ordered it from one of the online vendors.

IMG_4221.jpg

ShipWreck

Shipwreck, how does the grip size compare to the full size 92s?

Is it friendlier to those with a smaller hand?

Thanks!

Width wise, it is the same. It is a 13 round mag instead of 15 rounds. It is shorter, though.

It's about the same length as a USPc or P2000 HK. With the mag extension, you can get a good two handed grip.

If I wasn't already using a 92FS (fullsize) and an M9A1 interchangeably as my carry guns, I'd probably use one of my compacts. The guns are VERY accurate. I just don't see the point in scratching up yet another 92 type gun for carry when I am satisfied with my fullsize 92 for carry every day.

But if I was just starting out carrying a 92, I'd carry this.

Leejack

Thanks amigo!

I asked because my daughter complains of the grip size on my PT. She says she just can't get a comfy grip on it. I've heard a few similar complaints back in the Air Force days about the 9.

For you and me, they're very ergonomic, just an extension of the hand! ;)

Those compacts Berettas sure are stunning, hope I can get one!

ShipWreck

Nice and it wouldn't hurt my feeling to have one. What lenght is the barrel?

They are 4.3 inches long.

I have small hands, but with the Hogue grips, the Beretta 92 platform works well for me.

hogwiley

I just saw one of these in a local gun shop and considered buying it as ive been looking for a quality DA/SA 9mm, and this gun is considerably cheaper than a sig. Ultimately though because this gun is so heavy and chunky I figured its not real practical for CC and I might as well go with the full size if I go the beretta route.

The grip is just as fat as the full size, just shorter. If you love the 92fs and always wanted to carry it concealed but thought it was a tad too big, this is the gun for you. Otherwise its just a slightly less accurate and lower capacity 92fs, with mags possibly expensive and hard to come by in the future. Although it does take full size 92 mags, they just stick out awkwardly.

Marquezj16

Shipwreck, where did you get your Hogue grips? I'm also looking for extra mags but not the regular 15 rds and a holster. Thanks in advance.

Can't wait to take this to the range again.

Last edited:

ShipWreck

Just google "Beretta 92 compact hogue grips." You will see a bunch of places that sells them - even Hogue sells them, and I saw them on the Beretta site. I ordered my 2 sets from a vendor Amazon - but they sold out.

Marquezj16

2nd Trip to Range

Had the pleasure of shooting today. I concentrated on DA trigger pull for about thirty rounds. While the pull is long, it was easy enough. Then I did thirty rounds of SA and that made it so much easier to shoot. I then went to double tap drills, first one DA and follow up with SA. I have to say it was such an easy drill with this gun. While I'm no expert or marksman. I did hit both 8 inch targets with each shot. Ammo used were Winchester and Remington. Both functioned flawlessly. Very happy with the results so far.:)

Pilot

I've always wanted one of these, but the darn slide mounted safety that works opposite to all my other guns has always made me hesitiate.

I scratched the 9MM Compact itch many years ago with a CZ-75D PCR, but I really wouldn't mind having this Beretta. They really are nice pistols. Decisions, decisions. :D