Compact .45

Pilot

I am considering buying a compact .45 for CCW. I have full size 1911's but feel they are a little big and hevay for summer carry. I am considering an HK USP compact and a lightweight Commander size 1911. I'd like the Colt Lightweight Commander XSE but the prices on those are very high. Any other suggestions?

Pilot

Thanks. I'm comfortable with C&L, but currently carry a DA/SA 9MM. The lightweight, compact 1911's are attractive to me, but I don't mind the DA/SA like the USPc. The 1911 pattern may be slimmer though.

HappyGunner

1911 for Carry

I have both a 3"&4" and I can tell you the longer butt of the 4" really wears on you'r side after a few hours. My 3" is a better feeling carry.:)

tegemu

Take a look at the Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail, a 1911 .45. There is a write up on it in the latest 'Guns & Ammo."

MEDDAC19

Since you are familiar with colt 1911's, look for a 1991A1 compact. It is an officer sized colt at a lower price. I'm sure there are some around. I got one, after carrying a full size in the service, and like it a lot. It is easy to conceal and, if like mine, accurate and reliable.

Dave R

I bought a Taurus PT-145 and am enjoying it. Small, light, and 11-round capacity. That's probably your lowest price option, if $$ is a concern.

Lou22

+1 on the PT145. I'm waiting for delivery of mine, but I've carried similar-sized .45s and believe the PT145 will be a great CC auto. I've heard almost nothing but good about it on the bulletin boards. It is DA only, though.

Lou

awpk03s

USP Compact

Great gun. Very slim and lends itself well to concealment I think. Accurate, not too much recoil, great trigger, don't know what else to ask for. Try to find the flat magazine baseplates though rather than the extended fingergroove ones though if you want to carry it as that extended grip with the fingergroove mags tends to print.

gr8gun

At one point I bought a Kimber Ultra Eclipse to carry, but for various reasons found it didn't work for me.

In my search, I tried not to rule anything out. I wanted a compact .45, and the more I carried, the more clear I became that I did not want a carry gun with any manual safeties, and it had to be narrow, snag-free, and reliable. I also prefer every shot to have the same trigger pull.

I'm actually not a die-hard Glock fan, but this particular chunk of plastic (G36) meets my needs. Seems as though most people love Glocks or hate them -- if it's within your realm of possibility, you might want to give one a try.
b2s_ultra-g36.jpg

Last edited:

tinman

I came to use the PO warthog. I wanted an auto, the 1911 was to uncomfortable with a lot of activity and not always so concealed. The warthog has a double stack magazine, which helps fill the hand since the grip is short. I never cared for any gun in which my little finger had nowhere to go, but this gun seemed to be comfortable enough.