Common powder for 44mag & 10mm?

John D

Is there a good powder that's common to these two calibers? All loading for targets and fun...would like an economical load.

44 mag: Loading for Super Blackhawk revolver and Ruger Deerfield carbine. Shooting JFP, 240g. First trials with Deerfield suggests it needs a fairly stout load to cycle the action. SBH, of course, shoots anything!

10mm: Loading for a Blackhawk convertible revolver (10mm + .38-40). Shooting lead, 175g. SWC.

What about AA #5?

Mal H

Staff
In the Accurate lineup, I think #7 would be a better choice for both of those calibers. For economy I would go with the old standby Unique or perhaps 2400.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Mal's suggestion of Unique or 2400 is correct,
for this application.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

John D

Hmmmm....things haven't really been simplified! I've now received recommendations for: AA#7, Unique, 2400, HS6, Universal Clays and Blue Dot.

Soooo, from these six powders, which is the "best" (given my uses) and what are the pet loads for each?

ViLLain

Accurate number nine works excellent in both cartridges. Go to Accurate's web site and they will have all the data you need.

Gabriel

Cal4D4

Another Choice

I have had great results with IMR 800x. Moderate to near max loads in 10mm and .44M. Some measures don't like it but it is nice and bulky for its weight. Blue Dot is similar burn rate and performance, slightly easier to measure. Blue Dot gives a white muzzle flash, 800x a orange/red flash in pistols.

keano44

Although I"ve never reloaded for the 10mm, I may be able to help you with the SBH/Deerfield combination. I hunt deer with a 7.5" SBH .44M, and a Ruger Carbine .44M (the predecessor to the Deerfield, discontinued in the 80's.) I also found that it takes a fairly stout load to reliably cycle the action of the rifle.
My load which works great in both: 24.3 gr. H110, Hornady 240 gr. HP/XTP, WLP.
Or: 21.5 gr. AA #9, Hornady 240 gr. HP/XTP, WLP.
They aren't max loads, but, work up to these loads in your guns!
(By the way, these loads work well not only in the guns, but also on the deer. )
To more accurately answer your question, Unique.

Chemistry

Suggest Alliant Unique for lighter loads, Alliant Blue Dot for heavier loads.

The new cleaner-burning Unique really does burn much more cleanly than the older formula.