Commercial Reloads for .38 Special?

Chris W

I'm looking to shoot some .38 over the next year, and want to start off by buying a chunk of .38 standard pressure, jacketed, 125 grain ammunition--probably a thousand rounds to start. I don't want to pay 10 bucks a box for basic practice ammo, and this is not the time for me to get into reloading, so I've started snooping the web for commercial reloading places. I've come across Miwall, which has good prices but expensive shipping (for me, across the country from California), T-M-S, and Ammo Direct, which advertises 1,000 of what I want for 120 or 130 bucks plus 10 to ship; sounds good to me, but do any of you have better suggestions? Do you know the deal of the century on reliable commercial reloads? Are some of these places apt to produce more reliable or accurate stuff than others? Thanks for sharing your experience.

CW

E357

Since your down in the SE, you can't go wrong with:

ZERO: http://www.rozedist.com/

Georgia Arms: http://www.georgia-arms.com/

Zero is less expensive and they have a nice brass exchange rate with case size orders. Greorgia makes good ammo and has a wide selection.

I found both companies great to do business with. And if you get into reloading, they can supply all the components. The all around service is more important than saving 10 or 20 bucks a case.

Elliot

KenF

Also try Natchez Shooter's Supply ] .

Natchez has Sellier & Bellot for $5.75 per box of 50. This is new ammo; lead or FMJ. 158 grain, though.

On the Georgia Arms site, look at their 'canned heat'- reloaded ammo delivered in ammo cans. 158 grain LSWC for $120 per thousand. Something else called 'PSWC' for $140 per thousand. I guess PSWC is plated semi-wadcutter.

I've bought the Sellier & Bellot from Natchez and been fully satisfied. Just ordered 10 boxes tonight, in fact. I've also ordered 'canned heat' from Georgia Arms, and that was just fine, too. It was 9mm, though, not .38.

Clemson

I will second the nomination for Georgia Arms, Chris. they do have a 125 grain JHP standard pressure load, and I carry their 125 grain Speer Gold Dot Plus P in my 342.

foghornl

There is a commercial reloader here in NE Ohio, city of Eastlake. Their website is

www.NationalBullet.com

Haven't tried their 38 stuff, but have shot some of the 45ACP. Functions flawlessly in my KP90 Ruger.

They also have a "send us your brass for reload" program, saves about 1/2 the cost.

Chris W

Thanks, all, for the suggestions. I'm particularly keen on some of the programs that offer a discount for recycled brass--I can see how gathering brass like the brass-hounds at the range could easily lead into a (da-da-da-dum) . . . RELOADING HABIT! :eek:

cw

Bacchus

I tried some commercial reloads and they were great for the money. I think the name was 3D. Try looking at Cabela's, too in addition to the other suggestions.