Commercial Lee-Enfields

BlueTrain

A post I just made about the Ruger No. 1 in .303 British reminded me of something I had often wondered about, which is commercial Lee-Enfield sporting rifles. Now I've seen sporterized Lee-Enfields and supposedly they were commercially available even before WWII but I've never seen a Lee-Enfield that was obviously a commercially produced sporting rifle--in person, that is.

An article about Frederick Burnham in the November 1987 issue of Petersen's Handuns magazine illustrates what appears to be such a rifle,although one can't be sure. It has a regular capped pistol grip syle buttstock, a sliding dust cover on the action and a short forearm with checkering on both the grip and the forearm. He must have acquired it before 1900, which puts it before the SMLE variation. There is also a bandolier or cartridge belt illustrated alongside the rifle (along with a Remington revolver) but the cartridges don't appear to be .303 British, so maybe the rifle isn't either. As a matter of fact, the rifle is described as being a Lee-Metford sporter which was presented to him by Cecil Rhodes.

I happened to run across on the internet (where else?) a copy of a sales brochure from B.S.A., I think (because I didn't download it yet) that had a few sporting rifles, all Lee-Enfields (and perhaps Lee-Medford) and I think mostly in .303 British. Also illustrated were most other variations of Lee-Enfields ever made to include more than one version of carbine (called an "Officer's Model"--the hype has been around), the SMLE and even the long (so named) Lee-Enfields. All except the sporting rifles were described as issue rifles, except of course for the Officer's Models.

The largest collection of rifles I've ever seen is in the NRA museum, about 15 miles from here but I recall no such rifle there and not many Lee-Enfields at all, come to think of it. Anyone else here have an "original" Lee-Enfield sporting rifle?

wogpotter

Do a search for "Lee-Speed", a lot of commercial rifles were sold under ''lee's speed patent." not as "Lee-Enfield." Also try "B.S.A. Sporting Rifles".

Jimro

Gibbs sold a 45-70 Lee-Enfield rifle for a while. If I remember correctly BSA sold rebarreled Enfields in 338-303.

Parker Hale reportedly did some work with Enfields, but they are better known for high quality Mauser rifles.

Good luck in your search!

Jimro

mete

Doesn't "Enfield" signify it's a military gun as Enfield is the gov't armory where they made them [like our 'Springfield' armory] ?
IIRC there were 6,8 and 10 rd mag versions. That movie about the killer lions. [Ghost and Darkness ???] had a 6 rd version.

Jimro

Not really, it is really just a broad term for a family of firearms the same way we say "Mauser" and can mean anything from a commercial FN to an 88 Commission rifle.

Jimro

BlueTrain

I'm surprised at the number of replies. I thought this was a really obscure topic.

I had one of the Gibbs rifles, but not in .45-70. Mine was one of their converted No. 5 rifles but it wasn't as good as the real thing. It didn't even have an adjustable rear sight, although they flash hider was well done. One place, now gone, had several Gibbs conversions.

I know Parker-Hale or some such outfit made essentially sporter rifles relatively recently, by which I mean about 30 or more years ago, only that the market was, I assume, the police. I think there was a version that was basically a high-power target rifle with peep sights, much like the CZ 550 Sport model in .308. However, the market for such things must have been limited and I doubt many were made. I have seen, however, one of the later Lee-Enfield snipers with the cut down stock.

As you probably know, Enfield did not make all Lee-Enfields but I was surprised that BSA seemed to be offering for sale military arms. The catalog was from around 1910. Lee-Enfields were even made in the United States but then so were Mosin-Nagants.

Which reminds me: I recently visited the British Army Museum in London (not the War Museum) and one rifle on display was a Winchester 1895 in .30-06 (so marked in red letters on the stock). I had known that lots of weapons were supplied to the British in WWII (it was a Home Guard display) but I never imagined a Model 1895 lever action would have been among them.

Claddagh

Just a guess, but I'd bet that the 1895 Winchester you saw in the English museum had those prominent ".30-06" caliber markings on the stock because there were also a number of 1895s manufactured in .303 British.

wogpotter

Enfield Lock was just one of many factories making Lee-Enfields.
Birmingham Small Arms made them at several factories & so did several other facilities.
The "Lee" part of the name comes from James Paris Lee
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Paris_Lee
he basically developed the magazine & action, & the Royal Small Arms Factory at Enfield Lock, who improved the earlier "Metford" rifling into a better "Enfield Pattern."

The name comes from the combination of design agencies more than the maker, so B.S.A. Lee-Enfield, made at the Shirley factory is just as much an Enfield as one made at Enfield.:cool:

Tikirocker

B.S.A were THE major Commercial arm of Enfield par excellence ... conduct your studies in that direction, the topic is deep as it is wide. The Lee Speed rifles came under the same umbrella as the B.S.A commercials.

Tiki.

phil mcwilliam

Australian International Arms (AIA) currently produce the M10 bolt action 10 shot repeater in .308. The M10 is a Lee Enfield clone, but I dont know of availability in the states.