Commercial #1 powder

Kosh75287

Don't REcognize the name.

Do you know if it's also called CSB-1? I've heard the Hodgdon Universal comparison made with CSB-1.

Last edited:

BigJimP

I've never heard of it .....but I sure wouldn't use data from another mfg's powder to load it either....unless I found that info in the powder mfg's website.

There are a number of powders that are similar to Hodgdon Universal...and some of them have very similar recipe's for a given shell or caliber...but I wouldn't mix that data either...

MarkGlazer

You are referring to Maxam Powder, CSB 1 and/or 5. I inquired earlier in the year. One of the guys referred me to the Cast Boolits forum. You can "Google" Maxam and you will find a number of opinions.

I have seen forum responses where people have crono'd various loads. There is a good deal of information out there, but be very careful and take your time.

I have done some research, wanting to load for 9mm. However, I've deemed it too fast for a handgun load. I am seriously considering it for my carbine, once I break it in.

Rio Ammunition and American Reloading retail the powder on-line.

I STRONGLY suggest you do a good deal of research before you make a purchase. I think it's a good buy for what is being offered. However, spend the time to determine if this powder will meet your needs, within safe boundaries.

Good luck.

Hunter Customs

Thanks to everyone that responded to this thread.

Yes I believe the Commercial #1 powder is also referred to as CSB-1.

MarkGlazer, I appreciate all your information, I was wanting to load some 45 Colt loads with this powder.
However as for now I'm going to give it more thought and do more research before I purchase any of it.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

jim8115

I have had good luck with it in 38, 40 and 9mm.....as far it being too fast, maybe they are confusing it with csb-5

MightyMO1911

I've shot a bunch of csb1 and if I find more I'll get it. I really like it, so does my guns. I've been using the supplied data as well as Universal data, starting low of course. I'm a fan.

snakeye

Mark

I am curious why you deemed this powder too fast for handguns.....can you explain your reasoning for that

axismatt

Bump!

Has anyone changed their opinion of Commercial #1? Still happy with it?

Mark, did you ever decide if you mistook #1 for #5? The price is reasonable for 8 pounds, but that's a lot of powder.

Thanks

campingnights

Buy it you will like it. Yeh, it's alot of powder but I figure to reload off it for the next 3-4 years.

Hunter, don't you know it is sacrilege to load anything but Black Powder in 45 Colt?? :D