Comments on Remington's 40-X Bore Cleaner?

chanroc

Grew up with (and still use Hoppe's #9), but I picked up a bottle of Remington's 40-X Bore Cleaner at Wally World. While it does a nice job cleaning, it seems a little too gritty for me to use on my revolvers. I make sure to run dry patches, then flush it with Break-free CLP, but I still think there's some of that "grit" in my cylinder. Am I being too paranoid? Anyone else use this stuff? What's been your experience? While I've always had good luck with Hoppe's, I'll take any feedback on your favorite bore cleaner. Thanks!!

Gdawgs

I tried it a few times on heavily leaded barrels. It works but it still takes a lot of elbow grease and time. And yes you have to be very diligent about flushing all the grit out. I later read some people's recommendations about using strands of copper pot scrubbers wrapped around a patch. The copper works MUCH better and is quicker. I'm going to stick with the copper from now on.

Uncle Buck

Chanroc, I agree with Gdawgs. I still use it occasionally (when I am out of my other cleaners Hoppes #9 and Tipton Bore Solvent), but it is not the magic cure all that a good scrubbing can't produce.

Welcome to the forum.

chanroc

Gentlemen...Thanks. I think I'll stop using it and just go back to using Hoppe's! I'll have to give the copper pot scrubber a try as well. Thanks again!!