Comments on CZ Bolt Guns...

BigG

Anybody have any experience with CZ bolt action rifles?

I was fairly impressed with a quick examination of one in 375 Magnum. Quite nice workmanship and materials. Magnum Mauser-type action. How are they for accurate?

Where is the best price?

Any comments welcome.
:)

Long Path

At my urging, a friend of mine who had been needing practice with centerfire rifle technique went shopping for a full-sized quality .22 L.R. He came back with a CZ. I was VERY impressed. I would have to say that this rifle had the finest factory .22 trigger I had ever pulled. The fit and finish were superb, and the accuracy is better than I'm fit to evaluate. I would love to get one for myself. Based on that particular sample alone, I'd bet CZ makes their other rifles with quality, as well. I look forward to the opportunity to evaluate their centerfire rifles.

--L.P.

mundumugu

I have some experience with CZs. The old ones, made up to the 1970s were just marvellous. The centerfires had a folding peep sight in the receiver, very well regulated for 100 yds with standard velocity 150 grain spitzers, their action were buttersmooth and they were very accurate. I have a .22lr made in 1955 that has a full adjustable trigger, three folding blades rear sights for 50, 75 and 100 meters, changeable front sights - just a watch class push button system, a very beautiful walnut classic stock w/ schanabel forend, that groups ALL the kinds and brands of ammo - more than 15 - that I have put in it under one inch at 50 meters - 10 shots, that is. Newer centerfire guns are a bit rougher, no folding opens or peeps, very ordinary walnut, but they are very good shooters, sturdy guns and, on option, they may have a very clever system of hair trigger. Some buddys have'em, one in .308, other in 7x57, and both are sub-moa with their best loved ammo. :)

Johnny Guest

Moderator in Memoriam
Two here - - -

Both Interarms Mk. X by CZ--

Still have the .223 "Mini Mauser" and it's a hoot. Just a light field rifle, not some kinda varmint special. With my best handloads, it'll stay barely under an inch at 100 yards. But with Winchester/USA white box, it keeps about 1.5 inch.

I had a Mk. X in .338 Win Mag. It was accurate and easy to shoot with the wood stock--Held just over an inch, group after group, with Hornady Spire Point 225 gr. bullets and LOTS of RL-19 powder. I later changed it over to a composite stock, and recoil was a lot more brisk. Groups grew to around 1.3 inches. After two episodes of chest surgery, I sold the gun and dies, in fear of recoil. Now, nearly two years later, I wish I still had it.

I have a good friend who, at last check, has a .223, a .375 and two in .30-06. He loves 'em all, and the accuracy with one of the 'ought-sixes is just scary.

Best,
Johnny

700PSS Shooter

I have Brno (CZ) No.4 .22RF target rifle made in the late 1950's with an engraved receiver. It is extremely high quality. The CZ452 action is identical, but less fancy and with "normal" 11mm scope grooves, not the 17mm Brno type.

I friend has the 452 in .22WRM. Nice and accurate.

Johnny Guest

Moderator in Memoriam
dr. Mandrake---

You got me to thinking with that question. I'm away from home right now, but mentioned this to a friend at lunch. He said HIS MK X was made in Czechoslovalia, too. I guess Interarms, a U.S. importer, gets their stuff wherever they find it.

Best,
Johnny

blarney

CZ in General

CZs ROCK! PERIOD!

Sorry, big CZ fan here. I hope to own every CZ model there is!
lkulall.jpg

mcshot

Now that is some nice wood!:)
I have the 550 with the deluxe wood and it is superb. Definitely a keeper and it came with three mags. Have yet to find a sub MOA load but have only fired DWM factory through it so far.
mac

BigG

Thanks, I purchased the 375. It is a CZ 550 Safari Magnum. It has 3-leaf express sights and a hinged floorplate, one piece, not the unsightly 3 or 4 piece type found on most current bolt guns. It also has a European Set Trigger, a single set trigger that you push forward to set, and then goes off with a couple ounces of pressure. The unset trigger has no creep and goes off at about 4 pounds. Much better than my ol Steyr Mannlicher with the double set trigger which took about 7 pounds unset after about 1/2" of takeup!

The stock is the deluxe walnut with a German-style comb and cheekpiece. A liberal amount of well-executed hand checkering covers the forend and pistolgrip. The forend has a schnabel tip.

I fired a two-inch 5 shot group at 100 yards with the iron sights and Federal Classic 270 gr softpoints. The gun came with a factory target with a 1 1/2" 100 meter group.:eek:

Go forth and do likewise!:D

Legionnaire

527 American (.223) that I sold a Rem 700 VLS to buy. The 527 won't match the "out of the box" accuracy that the VLS had, but it's still close to MOA at 100 yards. Might get better when I figure out what factory loads it likes best. But I love the gun. The VLS was just too heavy for field use, and if I want to punch paper, it's with a .308. The 527 is a great gun in the field. Fit and finish are excellent. Really like the set trigger (although the standard trigger has some creep that's a bit grainy). Only real quirk is the reversed safety (rear to fire).

Blue Heeler

I have two CZ's--one pistol and one rifle--both of them are brilliantly user friendly.I don't know how they did it but there is no doubt that they have.Not only that,they didn't cost very much at all.The rifle is a Mauser action bolt with very good mag and loading--accuracy is excellent,the wood is good and the point and shoot is equal to anything.The pistol(9mm) is a real joy to shoot,the point and grip seem perfect.At close ranges I prefer it to almost anything else(it's not as precise as my 1911 Para-but who cares about an eighth of an inch at 50 feet?)

stephen303

CZ BOLT RIFLES

I have a BRNO ZKK 601 chambered in .243 win.
actually its my fathers- but I let him use it occaisionally!
First time I saw dad use it he took the head off a kangaroo at 600 meters! I knew right then that rifle just had to be mine.
using factory winchester 80 grain winchester it works wonders for both targets and kangaroos.

I believe the brno rifles to be about the best you can get.

BigG

dZ, if you plan to scope it, sure. Maybe the rings come with it. I remember one CZ at the gunshop had rings with it.

The safari magnum has a square receiver bridge with a dovetail for scope mounts. I'm going to stick with the iron sights.

Legionnaire

dZ, find out if the rings come with it. I don't know about the .22LR models, but they were included with my 527. They are rings specially made for the CZ by Millett.

agtman

Just FYI: My 375 H&H is a BRNO 602, not the newer 550 action. The 602 is a better buy if you can still find one. The 550s I've seen & handle at the shows looked & felt rougher, in my opinion.

I shot mine a while and then had it customized by Lon Paul, a riflesmith specializing in these types of rifles. For a very reasonable cost he can really turn one into a fine Big Game rifle. His metal & stock work are excellent, especially the way he eliminated the "hog-back" feel of the European factory stock. Recoil impulse feels much different. The .375 H&H web page has pictures and information if you're interested in what the improved "conversion" looks like.

These guns in general are decent shooters out of the box but can really be made to shine thru having some basic things done like bedding and trigger work. My 375 is MOA with some factory loads and several handloads, and frequently sub-MOA if I do my part. People at the range often mistake it for a much more expensive gun than it actually is, even with the custom work.

On the subject of CZ-type rifles, someone mentioned the no-longer-imported "mini-mark X," in .223. Not many made it into the country, or so I'm told, but they were imported in .223 & 7.62 Soviet. I have a .223 - it's really a carbine, sporting a slender, nicely grained stock and a 20 in. barrel. I love it. All I added was what I call the "basic 3" by a local 'smith: (1) trigger job (smooth as glass), (2) proper bedding of the action, and (3) channelling of the barrel. My 'smith did great work and it shoots better than some of the heavier, longer barrelled American stuff I see guys drag out at the range. It too is a sub-MOA shooter with certain factory loads and handloads. (The fun is in playing around with the different bullet weights and loads available for the .223). For some reason it really likes Cor-Bon's .223 55g HP (moving at a box-flap velocity of 3200 fps), so that's a sub-MOA factory load I shoot often. Here in the midwest, it's a great little 'chuck gun, or any other varmit of opportunity.

In my opinion these rifles represent one of the best buys on the market.

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hello. I have the older BRNO bolt guns in .375 H&H as well as .30-06 and a CZ527 in .223 Remington. These are among my favorite rifles.
From what I'm reading, I'm very lucky to've gotten really good-looking wood on my centerfire rifles.

With loads they like, all of these guns group well under an inch at 100 yards, the .223 less than half that for 3 shots on a still day.

Best.

700PSS Shooter

DZ:

The iron sight models are hard to scope due to the rear sight. You "may" need a high ring and a small objective scope. You will not have a lot of fore/aft adjustment room at teh bell will hit the rear unless the scope is real long.

Been there - Done that!!! Settled with a Leupold 28mm objective scope in Burris high rings on a friends rifle.

My advice is try BEFORE you buy. I really like the looks of the Euro version, but would get the American sans sights.
:)