Comments before I buy a lee bullet feeder?

Starvingboy

I have a Pro-1000, and while it's a bit finicky sometimes, It does everything I need it to without any complaints. I was thinking of picking up a bullet feeder, which should smooth things out quite a bit. Anyone want to throw some opinion my way?

rwilson452

What are you planning to use it for? the bullet feeder has a problem with heavier bullets like 230 gr 45ACP.

Comments before I buy a lee bullet feeder?
I have a Pro-1000, and while it's a bit finicky sometimes, It does everything I need it to without any complaints. I was thinking of picking up a bullet feeder, which should smooth things out quite a bit. Anyone want to throw some opinion my way?

Ricklin

No

I would not recommend the bullet feeder. I like to set the bullet on there myself and visually check the charge each time. Gives me a little more assurance that everything is OK.
Despite the flag wavers for Dillion I find my Pro 1000 also does everything I need it to do. The machine and I make good, accurate, safe ammo.

I saw a post recently that best described operating the machine as Zen. Become one with the machine, I thought that was an apt description.

I have seen the Pro 1000 priced at 139.00 with a set of dies. Cant beat that with a stick!!

Yes it can be finicky, given the Dillion costs several hundred more I can accept that.

Starvingboy

I'll stick with my Pro-1000. Can't afford a dillon, and for $40, my Pro is just fine.

I plan to use it for 9mm and .308, so 160 grain will be the max. I weigh everything after I load it, so I don't do the visual powder check anymore. I messed around with putting a light in and all sort of other gimmicks to check the powder level, in the end, I prefer a quick trip across the scale for every round.

Just wanting some feedback for those who use/have tried it. The dillon guys always wave their blue flag at you, but if I spent that kind of money for a press, I guess I would rationalize it as hard as I could too ;)

ilbob

I have run tens of thousands of rounds through my lee 1000. The biggest issue is keeping the primer feed clean. I have an older model that does not accept the bullet feeder.

I also have a Dillon 650.

TK6411

Starvingboy, lol...you hit the nail on the head with the blue kool-aid drinkers waving their blue flag. You asked a simple legitimate question and got that as an answer...just gota wonder. Anyway, the Lee Pro 1000 is a very good press as you have found out and the bullet feeder works well for anything under 230 gr 45 ACP bullets, so you should be fine there. Just make sure to keep everything clean and lubed and you shouldn't have any issues...the bullet feeder works as advertised and its cool to see it in operation.

Jim

Alleykat

The Lee bullet feeder is a worthless p.o.s. Since you have to load the tubes one-bullet-at-a-time, other than the novelty of it, why would you want such a bullet feeder? Besides, they're poorly designed (kind of like the Loadmaster) and the flimsy plastic "fingers" make the design totally worthless.

TK6411

I have and use the Lee Loadmaster with zero problems as well as the Lee Bullet feeder so I strongly disagree that its a POS.

Jim

The_Vigilante

I have a Lee Loadmaster (not the Pro1000). AlleyKat has probably used the Lee Bullet Feeder and has first hand experience. From all of the feedback I have received on the Lee Bullet Feeder, they do fine on the light 9mm bullets-anything heavier, forget about it-because as AlleyKat mentioned the plastic fingers aren't strong enough!!!

Alleykat

I use nothing but Lee dies. Have a lot of experience with the Loadmaster. Don't see how anybody with half-a-brain would think that the Lee bullet feeder ISN'T a p.o.s. Once again!!! You have to load the tube(s) one-bullet-at-a-tiime!!! What's the point?

Pro1000's probably superior to the Loadmaster.

Starvingboy

Alleykat, what do you mean by "One bullet at a time"? I assume it is like the case feeder, load the tube and start cranking. From my point of view that would be much faster than setting each one by hand. I'm curious as to why you see it as a waste of time. Honestly curious, I am trying to spend my few $$ wisely.

TK6411

You have to load the bullet feeder tube one bullet at a time...so what...its not an issue. I have zero problems with using the bullet feeder as long as I don't use anything heavier than 230 gr 45 ACP bullets. I have been using the Loadmaster with the bullet feeder and Case feeders since I got the press without incident.

floydster

Alleycat doesn't know SFFM what he is talking about, he's been knocking Lee from the word go so this just proves he doesn't know much about loading or the hobby. Come back Alley, tell us more!!!:D

rwilson452

Alleykat doesn't say anything about loading primers into tubes for the dillon one at a time. Ya don't need to do that with a Lee. Well I guess you could shell out a bunch of bucks and get that vibrator thingy for loading primer tubes.

Wrangler5

I've used a Loadmaster since they were first introduced and have had great success with it. But I could NOT get the bullet feeder to work with 9mm 124g FMJ bullets (which is what I load, mostly.) If there were too many bullets in the feed tube there wasn't enough strength in the mechanism to move the bottom one. And the tip would usually catch on the jacket of the one above (solid bottom jacketed bullets were more expensive than what I use.) Then, the gripping fingers would frequently just drop the bullet before it got aligned with the rising case. (I had the impression that it just might work perfectly on something like 148g wadcutters for 38 special, but I don't load much of that so never checked it out.)

I think the bullet feeder is the only Lee product I've just chucked in the trash. All the rest of my Lee equipment has been worth more than its cost - hand press, single stage presses, turret press, priming devices, powder measures and dies. Sometimes quirky, and yes there is some plastic, but for MY money it''s the best way to produce ammunition. All except for the bullet feeder, that is.

AndreaCarrara

Lee Bullet Feeder.

Good Day All,
I have it, multi-tube version for my Pro1K.
It works fine, I just ease the sliding movement of the finger clamp with my left hand.
I use 180gr. flat point lead bullets for .40caliber.
In three years, I had to replace the finger clamp once because it was crushed a bit (my mistake) and did not hold bullets anymore.
Loading the tubes takes 3-5mins, according to my mood, but I find this tool quite useful.
Bye:)

philbo

I've got 2 Pro's and loaded a lot of rounds over the years with them. Tried the bullet feeder, but decided that I was just as quick setting each bullet by hand with fewer issues. This also forces me look at the case one last as I'm seating the bullet and verify powder charge.