Commander Recoil: Severe?

DoItRight

I am looking for a nice 1911 and I have always liked the Commander size. I've shot my share of 1911's but never a Commander in .45 ACP.

From those who have, I'd like your feedback about the recoil? I've seen a few for sale by people who consider the recoil to be "too much" but you never get a chance to get more details on what that means.

Thoughts? Input? Opiniions?

Thanks!

Shaun

i can feel a difference between a full size 1911 and most commander sized models, the reason being, most commander sized 1911s use alloy frames. If you shoot an alloy frame after a steel framed full size you can feel the difference. OTOH the steel framed commander is no different as far as i can tell.

shooter1

Wow! Never thought I'd hear anyone voice concern over the recoil of a LW Commander in .45acp. I have fullsize all steel, LW Commander, and LW Officer's sizes in .45acp. The LW Officer's bounces a little more than the others, but recoil with all of them is insignificant.
str1

ocharry

i can't tell much difference,,, if the commander is set up right it will be a joy to shoot.... i have one in stainless and a full size in stainless,, i really like my commander

ocharry

nass

I have a Commander Bobtail all stainless, and it is awesome to shoot. Not much difference at all from my Govt sized gun.

The Ultra (alloy framed) version has some more snap, but it runs a course of fire just as fast and accurate as it's larger/heavier brothers.

schmeky

I have to agree with the others. I shot my new all steel Commander today and holy moly this thing was easy to control. Shot it next to my full size Kimber 1911 and there was no difference for me.

In fact, I liked the Commander so much I shot about 60 rounds through it and only fired about 2 mags through the Kimber. The Commander was also very accurate. My shooting partner said to me, "Hey, you're supposed to use scissors to cut hoes". The Commander was shooting a big single hole at 21'.

longeyes

The only Commander I have is the lightweight version (S&W's Scandium SC). Recoil is NOT a problem with this pistol. Personally I really like the Commander size for balance. And the lightweight variant is very quick on target.

Officer's Match

I even found the alloy framed Kimber Ultra II (a mere 3" barrel) to be a great shooter. Yeah, it did let me know I'd just touched off a potent round, but I like that feeling.