Coming back to revolvers

vito

My first real handgun was a revolver, and I was late to come to semi-automatics as I never quite believed they could be as reliable as a wheelgun. But over the years the guns got better, and I found that the added capacity and ease of concealment made the semi the preferred personal defense weapon. But recently I have had an occasional FTE to FTF in two semi autos that did so despite being well maintained and cleaned and lubricated. It made me start thinking again about how reliability is the most important factor in a handgun, and how a quality revolver (such as any of the S&W that I own) could be forgotten about for decades and will still surely go bang when the trigger is pulled, are probably what I should count on for the safety of myself and my loved ones. My J-frame snubbie may only have 5 rounds of 38+ ammo but I am 100% confident that it will work if needed; something I am not really so sure about my several semi's. Last year I sold off a beautiful and very, very accurate Kimber because every once in awhile it jammed on me. Now the same doubts have resurfaced about my other semi-autos.

kraigwy

I dont think its just the newer semis that are reliable, hard to fault an original 1911a1 when it comes to reliablility.

Anyway, I have differant reasons. I just like shooting revolvers more, I can't shoot them as well as I can my semis.

For a SD pistol, I have to agree on the revolvers. I carry a 642 in my pocket. In my opinion small revolvers have it all over the semis as pocket pistols. An example as to where I'm coming from, I spent 20 years as a cop in Anchorage, I think we can all agree that it gets frosty up there every now and then. We were issued a rather large parka. Now they had zippers on the side to allow access to your service revolver but still, there was a lot of coat to hang up on. I carried a little pocket revolver in my pocket and always had access to it, and being a hammerless revolver, it could be fired through the pocket if need be, with out hanging up on the linning.

I got the ideal reading many years ago the the hammerless 5 shot revolver was designed for the overcoat pockets of army officers during the trench war fare days of WWI, I dont know if that story is correct, but it gave me the ideal and I still carry one in my pocket today.

bluetopper

After shooting a friends K-38 Masterpiece a few years ago is what turned me on to revolvers. The craftsmanship, accuracy, and ease of shooting is what got me. Now, if I run in to a good deal on a good Smith revolver I get it, especially the pre-lock ones.

I felt no "pride of ownership" with polymers. I have since got rid of every one I owned.

The only thing I have any interest in now is high end 1911's and Smith wheel guns.

denfoote

Ya know, I'm thinking about the same thing.

My first real handgun was an old Ruger Blackhawk chambered in Col. Wesson's grand old magnum.

I've always had an affinity for the caliber and own an old Smith and Wesson K-Frame 65-6LS that many of you have seen.

I'm thinking that it's time to haul it out and start hoofing it!!! :eek:

orionengnr

Whenever the weather cools off here in TX, I start carrying something larger.
Last year that was either a 4" M-586 (just sold it Friday) or a 4" M-25 in 45LC.

Can hardly wait for the cool weather to come back :)

LouisianaMan

Me, too

Always liked anything that would shoot, but definitely had an affinity for the speed of automatics. My service sidearms never malfunctioned at all, nor did several ones I owned personally. Others I owned did have some problems. All in all, however, I shot them far better than revolvers.

So, I now own DA and SA revolvers exclusively. . .partly because I shot some CAS a few years ago. . .partly because it's easy to reload for them. . .partly because my wife and daughters can shoot them decently w/o worrying about safeties and slide releases. . .and partly because I don't have to worry about tension on magazine springs as a gun sits ready for HD use. And partly because I just like them more! Not certain just why that is.:)

Jart

The last several handguns I bought were revolvers and they are most of what folks say they are but I've not found the much vaunted reliability to be intrinsic to the revolver but rather, at least in some cases, to the revolver owner.

I don't want to turn something civil into a "versus" thread so I'll speak strictly for myself. If any revolver folks see themselves they can chime in.

When I've got my "revolver guy" hat on I tend to be far more fastidious with the firearm. It's placed on rugs at the range and oiled before getting put away. If I dropped it in the swamp the likelihood of an embolism on my part is far greater than if I dropped a polymer-mutant-1911.

When my x25 strain screw backs itself out and turns "six for sure" into "three if you're lucky", I berate myself for having forgotten the blue thread locker. Tell a polymer service pistol owner he's responsible for thread locking fasteners and he'll look at you like you've got three heads. But revolver folks (Ruger DA types perhaps excluded) take such extra maintenance with good grace. They tend to blame themselves or the ammo or the "hard" primers for FTFs where the semi owner blames the firearm.

When the hammer pivot screw backed itself out of a kilobuck plus Turnbull / USFA I just screwed it back in. If an equivalently priced STI semiauto did something similar, there'd be some serious indignation. The difference is in the owner attitude - I simply expect more reliability out of a 2011 than a Colt-shaped piece of art.

It's often said that revolvers aren't "ammo sensitive". While this may be so relative to length or ability to cycle an action the revolver has opened whole new worlds of "primer fussy" and, according to Grant Cunningham, sometimes S&B and / or Fiocchi fussy.

I wonder if any other revolver/semi "dual nationals" have noticed that they treat their classic revolvers with a bit more TLC than their semis and perhaps, shall we say, "cover for them" when they have ammo, screw or spring issues.

Jkwas

I carry a revolver for ccw when I can. It's idiot proof and that's probably what my brain will run to by default in a bad situation. :eek:

zombieslayer

My mom keeps a 642 s&w snub with a crimson trace grip. other than the laser running out of batteries, the gun can collect lint in her purse for years, and still be deployed and functional at any moment. That gun is so surprisingly accurate! Looaded with Federal lo recoil hydras

stevieboy

I have a 1911 which I like very much. I'm a pretty good shot with it, too. But, when all's said and done, I much prefer my revolvers. There's something about a good double action revolver that no semi can match. I'm planning on keeping that 1911 but it's unlikely that I'll buy another semi. But, I'm always in the market for another good revolver, particularly if it's a Smith & Wesson.

madmag

Can't say I am coming back to revolvers, I really never left. But in recent years I have tended to shoot, talk, and work more on my semi's. In some ways a semi is more fun. I can spend time polishing the feed ramp, or changing mag. parts, or just trying to dope out why I had a FTF. On the other hand, my GP100 is not fun in that respect. Nothing to do. It just keeps on working...kinda boring.:p

I have several semi's, including of course a 1911, but when I carry for SD it's usually a revolver. And my main house gun is normally a revolver. I do carry and depend on some of my semi's, but there is nothing like the confidence a revolver gives.

Defensive carry is different from offensive carry like the police must do. Police have to worry about pursuing and forcing engagement of the BG's. For most of us here a revolver is just fine. We just want to stop any attack on us or our families.

CSHammond

I can't remember if I shot an auto or revolver first, but I have recently bought my first revolver after having many autos. There's just something about them.

bds32

I felt the same doubt creeping into my head over the period of quite a few years. I was particularly interested since I carried a pistol in LE service. Like you, I'd experienced the periodic, and often inexplicable, malfunction. I'd also read accounts and seen videos of autoloader stoppages in fights. So, after years of kicking it around and then some serious contemplation, I made the move to revolvers: an eight shot S&W in the holster, and a five shot in the pocket for back-up. For the pre-planned approach, I take the rifle in. All of that being said, the revolver can jam too. But, when it happens, it is usually from the accumulative effect of shooting or bad reloads. With a clean, well inspected and maintained reputable revolver along with excellent ammo, I think you have about as reliable a machine that can be had.

The interesting thing was that the move sparked my interest in firearms again. I became fascinated with wheel guns and their history. For me, there is an affection there that was never present with the autoloading pistols. Everyone is different and has to make their own choice. The key is to study, listen, practice, and learn.

SIGSHR

The revolver is more reloader friendly, as Skeeter Skelton once said, the precious brass can be easily transferred to a pocket or put back in the box.
And no problem with defective magazines, either.

herbie1

I find revolvers much more enjoyable that semi-autos (although my Glock is a great gun). For me it must be a nostalgia thing. Just like how many watch aficionados prefer mechanical watches over modern quartz watches, or how many car collectors might prefer 50's or 60's classics over modern cars.

For military or police use I think the semi-auto is better. I think that additional firepower and modern day reliability make it a better choice for 'going to battle'. But as for me, I am not in law enforcement or the military and I don't anticipate going to battle anytime in the near or distant future.

H.

MR.G

All my guns are very well maintained, yet over the years I have had both revolvers and semi-automatics fail. Semi-automatics have a real advantage when it comes to capacity and speed of reloading, but I still prefer a well made revolver.