Come and Get'em

Come and Get’em

I spent my Mother’s Day down in DC, participating in the Second Amendment Sister’s pro-2nd Amendment Rally. It was a truly inspirational event. While there, I realized that the gun debate is a hopelessly polarized issue.

Our pro-gun side has the facts and the stats on our side. Even Maryland Attorney General Joseph Curran (author of “A Fairwell to Arms”) admits that privately owned guns are used to save over 120,000 lives each year, far more than the 35 to 50,000 killed. Other studies place defensive use of guns at 2.5 million uses each year. No matter which statistic you use, guns do more good than harm. Accidental gun deaths are way down. Crime is down. States with “liberal” concealed carry laws have seen dramatic drops in crime. When was the last time you heard of a tourist being assaulted in Florida? This doesn’t seem to matter to the anti-gun crowd. They don’t understand guns, and they don’t want to. The Million Mom March organizers refuse to join the NRA in educating children in gun safety. The NRA’s Eddie Eagle program doesn’t promote gun ownership, it just tells kids not to touch a gun they find, and to get an adult. Common sense, right? Not to the Million Moms.

We have common sense on our side. A criminal, by definition, won’t obey the laws. Even MD AG Joseph Curran admits this. Additionally, under the 5th Amendment a criminal is exempt from licensing and registration (self-incrimination). Common sense would tell us that a criminal would remain armed, while the victim is being disarmed by gun control. Common sense tells us that the police need guns to deal with criminals. Why don’t civilians? Which would you rather have when facing a rapist or murderer, a cell phone or a gun? The dirty little secret is that police have no legal obligation to protect you. Who will?

We have the Constitution on our side. Most serious Constitutional Scholars have come to the conclusion that the 2nd Amendment relates to the people, not the National Guard. Our Founding Fathers feared a tyrannical government, and felt the 2nd was the Amendment that guaranteed all the rest. Read the Federalist Papers to get further insight into their rational, or listen to them directly:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the _real_ object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?"

-Patrick Henry (1736-1799)
[/quote]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms…disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater … confidence than an armed man."

Thomas Jefferson, quoting Cesare Beccaria in On Crimes and punishment (1764).
[/quote]

Somehow, all this doesn’t seem to matter. Gun owners are demonized using the same methods that Adolph Hitler used to demonize the Jews:

Identification - we have the government and health care identifying gun owners as a public threat

Ostracizing - there is a campaign to make gun owner pariahs, even to the point of keeping your children from visiting a home with a gun

Confiscation – this has already started with New York, DC, California. The MMM is calling for the elimination of handguns.

Gun owners have become the New Jews of America. We are believed to be dangerous, uncaring monsters that pose a public health risk. Genocide was has always been preceded by Gun Control.

Many of us are sick of arguing. Despite having the facts, the stats, the Constitution, and common sense on our side, we continue to lose our rights. The anti-gun crowd accuses us of failing to compromise. What is compromise? I was raised to believe a compromise is where both sides give a little. The anti-gun crowd believes compromise is where they demand everything, and get some of it each time. What have we EVER received in these compromises? Our rights continue to be eroded, one piece at a time. We have never received any concessions in return. We would like a National Concealed Carry. Where is the compromise?

Thomas Jefferson said, “The beauty of the 2nd Amendment is that it will never be needed until they try to take it away.” If they want our guns, let them come and take them. The British tried over 200 years ago at Lexington and Concord, and you know where that got them. It’s not about guns, it’s about Liberty! Freedom!

COME AND GET’EM!

PaulB
NRA, GOA, LEAA, MDCL, C.A.N.
Fight 4 Your Rights Homepage

[This message has been edited by fight4yourrights (edited May 17, 2000).]

fmjcafe

If gun registration becomes the law of the land I would become an instant criminal and therefore exempted from registration and could plead my rights under the 5th,right?

------------------
~Gordon~

CassidyGT

COME AND GET EM!!!

Viva La Resistance!!

------------------
Thane (NRA GOA JPFO SAF CAN)
MD C.A.N.OP
tbellomo@home.com
http://homes.acmecity.com/thematrix/digital/237/cansite/can.html
www.members.home.net/tbellomo/tbellomo/index.htm
"As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression.
In both instances there is a twilight when everything remains
seemingly unchanged. And it is in such twilight that we all
must be most aware of change in the air - however slight -
lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness."
--Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas

MrBigglesworth

All I can say is if the MMM doesnt like guns and the 2nd Amendment gives us RKBA then why dont they pack up and leave? Sounds perfectly reasonable to me! Which would a member of the MMM rather have? Like you said a Cell phone or a Gun if their house was being broken into by a rapist/murderer?

"Hold on Mr. Assailant....I need to call the police before you do anything rash with that nasty gun of yours. Give me about 20 minutes so that the police can come and take you away alrighty?"

Hal

Ironic isn't it? If by the wave of a magic wand (aka:Executive Order)all guns were to disappear. All of them, police, criminal,military, civilian(yeah it ain't gonna happen, but bear with me), I mean every last one in the US. Gone. Violence, murder, crime in general, war, ,,you name it,,would only slow down just a bit, then get back to normal levels. Then we would have 100K marches against cell phones(they do cause brain cancer 'ya know!) or something else. How about dog nuts? Yeah that's the ticket. The MM(utt)M(arch) against dog nuts. Dog nuts don't cause dogs, dogs do. Yeah, but a dog with nuts is more likely to cause dogs than a dog w/out nuts. Dog nuts are offensive. They dangle and look bad. Cut 'em off. Do it now! Do it for the puppies! Millions of M(utts)Marching and chanting. There isn't any amendment to safe guard against it right? A well dangled dog being necessary__the right to keep and bear nuts..nah,. But, nuts are patriotic!! Remember the famous retort? NUTS! 43 pups a day are caused by nuts!!! What we need are common sense nut laws! 1 Million cats support common sense dog nut laws!(please though, let us keep our kitty nuts. it's for the kittens).*sigh*(This is getting too Bob Barker)
All I can say is the whole thing is nuts. Oh yeah, when I proposed this to "The Ultimate Predator" he gave me a kind of "come and get 'em" look. The real irony is that my wife lured him into the car, and off to the vet. I know there's an object lesson somewhere there.

[This message has been edited by RAE (edited May 18, 2000).]

bookkie

fmjcafe said "If gun registration becomes the law of the land I would become an instant criminal and therefore exempted from registration and could plead my rights under the 5th,right?"

No sorry fmjcafe, you first have to be a convicted felon before the 5th kicks in. Once you have been arrested and become a felon then you would be exempt.

------------------
Richard

The debate is not about guns,
but rather who has the ultimate power to rule,
the People or Government.
RKBA!

Oatka

"Do you think violence didn't make it's appearance on this earth until the invention of firearms?". Every time I ask this question, I get a blank stare from the anti.

I then mention that more people die due to "car violence" and get more blank stares.

Suddenly, they shout, "Look, there's Elvis!"
and as you turn around, you hear the patter of feet running away, a la The Simpsons.

These people live in a world of slogans and do not want dialogue -- only confiscation.

If there's even a TRACE of open-mindnedness, I'll argue our point of view, otherwise I give 'em **** as we have nothing to lose.

[This message has been edited by Oatka (edited May 18, 2000).]

No, if you failed to register your guns, you are violating the law.

Under the 5th amendment, you are exempt from Self Incrimination. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>5th - ...nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself...[/quote]

It's like asking a driver if they are drunk. To say yes is self incrimination. They may ask it, but you don't have to put your neck in the noose.

[This message has been edited by fight4yourrights (edited May 18, 2000).]