Combating training burnout?

Dave3006

I trained for 7 years in Shotkan Karate. I stopped and now have trained for 6 years in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. My main focus is learning how to win a fight. Discipline, fitness, and the other stuff is important - however secondary.

My problem is that I am reaching a point where I am bored. A large part of the boredom is that (without radically increasing my training time) I have probably reached the limit of my ability in grappling. Sure, I can expect to see incremental improvement if I stayed with it for longer. However, I wonder if it is worth the additional investment of time?

Can anyone relate to this? I am not saying that I am some sort of great grappler. I am saying I am about as good as I am going to get (within reason). Maybe my time should be now spent on another aspect of the skills necessary for fighting.

Dave

Coinneach

Staff Alumnus
Dave, plateau is common to all types of fighting, whether martial arts, gunfighting, blades, or what have you. For that matter, it's common to every endeavor... you reach your level of competence and can progress no more.

Have you considered training in another discipline? When I've reached my personal best with one type of gun, I'll switch to another to avoid the "ho-hum, gotta keep doing it to stay proficient but that's all" syndrome. Might be a good way for you as well.

LASur5r

30 plus years in the martial arts. I stayed interested by searching for schools that taught different aspects/techniques that I felt I needed in my arsenal, but you hit those plateaus often...I took breaks sometimes, took fun stuff (swimming for stamina building, rock climbing for concentration, etc..)...always returned to m.a. because of the stuff in the news and I am raising my daughter...rough world out there even with a good working knowledge of self-defense. She is now taking up shooting and it makes my heart proud to see her more and more aware of her surroundings every day.

Only regret...she favors my CZ-75 and she is now starting to look at my USP Compacts.

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
Yeah - that plateau is there... Everyone can find that.

Just ask yourself - are you ready to stop there? 7 years? I know fellows who have been into it for 30 years. After about 15 years they get a revelation that they only know a little bit of the art.

I know a good deal about handguns and gunfighting - but I would not call myself an expert... I would rather still consider myself a student of my art.

cana

Dave, I understand what you're feeling. However, I think you shouldn't stop training BJJ. I have been training Shotokan Karate for two years now, and some months ago I thought I would be well prepared for most self defense scenarios. However, I was invited to watch a new brazilian martial art class. I wasn't really impressed, but I decided to start training it anyway (I didn't stop training Karate). Boy, you can't imagine what I discovered. I wasn't prepared for anything! People don't like to talk about this, but many things we learn in m.a. are useless in a real fight. If I were you, I would train BJJ and Karate again. However, I'd also try to buy books, talk to people involved in fights and practice other sports, in order to be fit. When we talk about self defense, we can never say we have reached the "top". There's always something we don't know yet. I think you should also learn knive and stick fighting. If you can afford, try out some courses too. You will always learn something new (and usefull). If you decide to train different m.a., like Aikido, Judo, go ahead! The worst thing that can happen is learning just a few more usefull strikes, punches, etc. In the end, you'll be amazed how much more prepared you'll be.

Mort

Personally, I suggest that you take a look at the Filipino martial arts. A good instructor in Kali/Escrima/Arnis can really help to give you a sense of flow between all of your disparate skill sets. It can add exponentially to your stand-up skills, which is what it sounds like you want to work on. You'll also learn knife, which adds a fourth dimension to combat.

Of course, I'm spoiled; Datu Kelly Worden is my instructor. Not all Arnis is as good as his, but "it's all good."

Morgan

If you're the type, and it sounds like you are, compete.

Competition will sharpen your skills (and yes, I know it isn't exactly the same - unless you want to do the Ultimate Fighting Championship) and give you a reason to train and get better.

I thought I was a badass bike rider, till I started racing. I thought I was a badass racer, till I went to a National...