Combat Grips?

Bob Wright

Combat grips are designed to keep the gun from shifting in the hand from recoil in DA firing. Most target grips allow revolvers to be pushed down in the hand upon firing, combat grips eliminate, or minimize this tendency.

Bob Wright

bhcarl

Thanks, makes sense, so if you mostly shoot single action they would still be a good choice? I think they would look good on my model 65 s&w.

Webleymkv

if you mostly shoot single action they would still be a good choice?

It depends on several different factors. "Combat grips" is a somewhat generic term that can encompass several different styles. Most, however, are designed in such a way as to allow a firm grip on the gun to minimize the movement of the grip during fast double action shooting. Likewise, many combat grips are relieved so as not to interfere with the use of speed loaders while such is often not the case with target grips. All this can sometimes, however, come at the expense of increased felt recoil and, if you have smaller hands, a more awkward reach for your thumb to the hammer.

That is not to say that "combat grips" are necessarily a bad choice for single-action shooting though. In my experience, a set of "combat grips" that fit your hands well are more comfortable for both double and single action shooting than a set of "target grips" that fit your hands poorly. Also, if you use a two-handed hold and cock the hammer with your support hand, then the reach for you thumb to the hammer is pretty much a non-issue. Finally, if you have large hands or simply don't mind having to reposition the grip in you hand for each shot, then "combat grips" would be of no hindrance for single action shooting which is primarily used for slow-fire target type shooting anyway.

Bob Wright

O.K. Photo essay:

Target grips on S&W Model 586:

Note smooth, hand filling. Allows weight of the gun to rest on the middle finger. Big enough to absorb recoil for heavy calibers.

Combat grips on S&W Modle 586:

Finger grooves help maintain constant grip while firing, "wedge" shaped (in cross section) to help keep gun from being pushed down from recoil.

Concealment combat on S&W Model 19 (bottom gun):

Grips are very slim and rounded to allow better concealment, have finger grooves for better control.

End of essay.

Bob Wright

bedbugbilly

As already stated . . . Wright is right . . . and sometimes . . . being right is almost as good as being Wright . . . but who is on third? :D

Good examples Bob . . . and informative! And nice shooting irons too! :)

eldermike

I do wish when people trade or sell revolvers that they would put the target grips back on. I passed on a fine K frame this last weekend because the price was too high and it had rubber grips. But it was the missing grips that made the decision easy. Let me think, am I going into combat with a 38 masterpiece?