Com Block Semis

uradaisyifudo

Anybody else just find the old semi auto soviet/Yugoslav/Czech guns appealing aesthicaly? Moreover there are many out there available at a good value, old CZs, Makarovs, Tokarevs, etc. I'd be interested in a discussion as to where y'all might have bought one, how you have liked it, and for those of less common calibers, what is availability like and your thoughts on ammunition performance? What regions/manufacturers might have contributed to better guns? I know this is not a narrow topic, but I really like my CZ 75 which is modern handgun, but still has classic lines and heritage. Pics would be appreciated because I think they look cool, as said. Thanks

Last edited:

pelo801

For me it started with my very first gun. I bought it off a guy from a classifieds site. It was a special edition Bulgarian makarov. Ever since then I've been piecing together an assortment of com bloc guns. They just appeal to me. I don't know why. Maybe it's the history or the utilitarian feel. Either way I think they're great guns.

Yes that cz24 is 9 x 17. It's not much to look at with the pitting and all, but still shoots good.

I have always considered the Pistolet Makarova to be one of the most ingeniously-designed handguns of all time. The TT33 is built like a T-34 and is a riot to shoot - especially if you have some new guys close by! And the Radom P-64 CZAK is a great little pocket gun - I would much rather have one of them than a PPK or PPK/S. But I am truly in love with Česká Zbrojovka pistols. At last count, I had a vz.50, a vz.52, a vz.70, two vz.82s, and one ČZ-75 Compact on order (just to "modernize" my collection). ;)

uradaisyifudo

The toks are very appealing to me, the 7.62 by 25 is also appealing, that can be a fast penetrating round. Thanks again for the pic, can you feed those things regularly?

uradaisyifudo

And... Hoosier, I also dig the CZs! I have been looking to expand my own collection. Your font ability and spelling out CZ is also impressive...

JimmyR

I started with the CZ 70, but it didn't really last long in my collection. Then I got my hands on my Bulgarian Mak, and my love for 9x18 just won't stop. Then I got the CZ 82- life is good. :D

pelo801

I'd also like to throw in some of the Spanish pistols, if you don't mind, that we're used in some of the same arenas. I really like the Astras. Others like the Ruby pistol and the Star are pretty cool too.

As for feeding the Tok, I came across a guy that was selling all his Tok ammo. So I bought it all. I paid about $500 for a little over 4500 rds.

Walt Sherrill

...but I really like my CZ 75 which is modern handgun, but still has classic lines and heritage.

I like the CZ-75, too, and the CZ-75 is just a few years older than the Glock 17 (which was designed in 1979, and put into service in 1982.) Classic lines? It looks a bit like a BHP, but not much like anything else. The looks just appeal to many of us.

But, except for the fact that the CZ-75 uses the Browning short-recoil design, there's not much heritage involved: it was essentially an all-new design not based on anything previously built by CZ, and quite different than other DA/SA guns of the period. (Unlike the rest of the CZ handguns, the 75 was apparently designed for export/civilian use, and not WWI/WWII use, or the Communist Bloc war machine. The Communists didn't use 9x19...)

For me, the outstanding Communist Block pistol design is the Makarov; a simple but elegant design that has proved to be effective, reliable, and accurate. The CZ-82/83 is almost as good -- and I much prefer it to the Mak -- but it is a bit bigger and a bit more complex. Both are great guns.

Most of the other Communist Bloc pistols are, to my thinking, only so-so weapons, at best. Most of these weapons were "offspring" of a very utilitarian Soviet-system approach to weapon design and production: make it simple and easy to maintain, don't use exotic materials, don't make it hard to build, and don't worry too much about whether the shooter likes it.

Last edited:

agtman

Anybody else just find the old semi auto soviet/Yugoslav/Czech guns appealing aesthicaly? ***

Yep. Like this one. It's a CZ 82 (9mm Makarov.)
We ditched the chipping Commie paint and refinished it in multicam. :eek: Great shooter too.

:cool:

pelo801

The CZ82 is a great gun. They have a really good DA trigger and better sights than a Makarov. But I still like the Maks better.

pelo801

Here's pretty cool Romanian gun. A Carpati model 95. Not something you see everyday. Kinda PPK like. Has a horrible DA trigger. Still cool though

uradaisyifudo

I have not seen one of those before, funny timing though, I was just looking at some older Walthers on another site and it does look similar. I could be adding a new dimension to my existing gun habit...

HistoryJunkie

Looks a lot like a P64, which also has a horrid DA trigger. It might be worth looking at the trigger mechanism... maybe you could use a P64 Wolf Spring. If so, that would reduce the trigger pull to a manageable level.

pelo801

I also have a P64. And yes they also have god awful DA trigger. Changing out the springs on those two is on the really long list, along with many other things to do. The P64 does have a really crisp SA pull. I think I'll also change out the recoil spring on it, because it's pretty snappy.

madmo44mag

I have several Com-Bloc pistols chambered for 7.62x25 and love them all.
I wish Starr Line brass would produce more brass so I could afford to shoot them more often.
My supply of Com-Bloc ammo is down to less than 5,000 rounds.
At 5 cents a round it was some cheap shooting but those days are over.