Colt's Officer's Match Model

Chuck McDonald

I just acquired a Colt's Officer's Match model that dates to 1911. This is .38 Spl. of course.

The finish is about 90% excellent mechanical condition and like new stocks numbered to the revolver.

Would anyone have any idea of the approximate value of the gun?

Thanks

Chuck

Radicalcleric

I might be mistaken but it seems to me the OMM was not introduced until much later than 1911. There is great confusion in serial numbers for this model, could you be mistaken on the year? Or could you have an Officer's Model Target, which predates the OMM (but I am not even sure the OMT started by 1911, that's very early as I am thinking they came out in the 1920s). I have an OMT that was made in 1931 and its number is 4560. What is the number on your pistol? (Use X for last two digits if you are nervous about posting serial number.)

Chuck McDonald

Colt

Acutally, it may just be a very old target sight revolver, the barrel is marked "Officer's Model" and the S/N is 331,1xx.

The serial number info I have on this is rather confusing... but I believe the Official Police model evloved...

Anyway, any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chuck

bfoster

You have the second version of the target variation of the Army Special. There is quite a bit of confusion regarding the proper name for this revolver. Colt first cataloged the Officers Model Target in 1923. Some collectors call the first and second versions of the target variation of the Army Special the first and second issues of the Officers Model Target, and call the Officers Model Target proper the third issue of the Officers Model Target. The Officers Model Match was not made until after WWII.

The most common barrel length is probably 7½". 6" barrels are seen fairly often. Barrels in 4", 4½", & 5" were also made. The blue book lists this revolver in 90% condition at $515 with the 4", 4½", and 5" barreled versions commanding a 60% premium. For what it is worth, I have not seen a 90% condition example of this model revolver bring anywhere near this price. Here in Ohio, these are priced at $325-$375 in those few gun shops that have a customer base that appreciates fine older revolvers. Prices in general are higher in many other states, but I'd do a lot of looking before I gave over $500 for one of these.

Bob

Jim Watson

My old Haven & Belden book reproduces a Colt advertisement and reprints an article from the April 21, 1904 Shooting and Fishing. They show and describe the Colt Officers' Model. Yes, plural, Officers' Model. Not Officers' Model Target... yet.

The ad is headed "The New Colt Revolver" and subheaded "Officers' Model."
It reads: "This is our New Army Revolver, caliber 38, with special additions and improvements as noted. This will be found a superior weapon for target practice, with service loads or with reduced charges, round or conical ball" "Target Sights, Front Sight Adjustable for Elevation. Rear Sight Adjustable for Windage." "Selected Walnut Stocks, Finely Checked. Guard, Strap, and Trigger Finely Checked. 6-Inch Barrel, Blued Finish."

Then there is a reproduction of "A page from the Colt catalogue for 1905." for the "Officers' Model Target" with description similar to the 1904 literature, but with "Target" added to the model name.

The action was upgraded in 1908, according to Haven & Belden, but general features and model name stayed the same until the time of the book in 1940. By then there were more choices in barrel length and caliber.