Colt WWI Reproduction 1911

B. Lahey

I'm thinking about buying one of these. I've always wanted an old-style Colt and they seem pretty interesting. Anyone have one? How do you like it?

The photo on the Colt website is terrible. What does the carbona blue of these pistols actually look like, thin and weird like the photo from the Colt website (top), or really nice like the photo from Gunblast?

1911WWI.jpg

1911ww1leftbook.jpg

JB Books

I have one and they are great. Are you buying to shoot it or as a collector piece?

They are a nice deep blue.

B. Lahey

I would be shooting it a good deal. Probably a few hundred rounds a month for the rest of my life if all works out well.:)

rellascout

Great guns. some of the nicest that Colt has produced recently. It is a custom shop pistol. Look for the original carbonia blue. It can be a little thin but if you can buy locally or really trust your dealer the blue will impress. Newer ones have black oxide finish.

Billy Sparks

I think he said the 18ish. I got one from WildAlaska and love it. I ran one box of ammo through it just to make sure it worked.

j-a-r

The Colt 1911 WW1 repro is an excellent pistol. Mine is absolutely beautiful. I was going to keep it as a safe queen but that didn't work out. I couldn't resist shooting it. It has been flawless on the range. The workmanship and finish is outstanding. I am currently looking for the WW2 repro to add to my stable.

j-a-r

RickB

I handled two or three of them at the SHOT Show, and they may have been the new-production "black oxide" models, but they didn't look as nice as the one I saw at a local shop. Some have said that they can't tell the difference, but the new guns look rougher - as the actual, late-war "black army" pistols were - so look for one with the carbonia finish. I have seen some variations in the grips and the thumb safety, perhaps from different suppliers, and I would probably hold out for one with the most correct-looking parts.

B. Lahey

Put down a deposit with Wild West today on a nice carbonia blue example. Should have the rest of the transaction squared away within a week or two. Happyhappyhappy.:D

vox rationis

That is one fine looking pistol...tough and classy at the same time!

How much did it set you back? And does it have a polished ramp and throated barrel, I'm just curious.

Chui

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be acquiring one and sending it to my 'smith to build up into a "more modern tactical pistol": 20 lpi checkering, High Rise Grip safety, arched mainspring housing, dovetailed sights, Commander hammer, W DLC finish. The internal components on the Colt pistols do not need replacing - they are (or was two years ago) all from forgings.

And best of all: Colt Roll Marks. SCHWEET!! :D