Colt Walther 1911 Gold Cup .22 rear sight question

Sir Loads-A-Lot

I am having so much success with my new Colt Walther Gold Cup .22 that I bought another one for my wife. I want to put a Burris Fast Fire III Reflex on it. Before I have to call Umarex I thought maybe someone would have an answer to an important question. I need a base mount for the unit and I don't know if it would take standard 1911 dovetail or a 1911 Novak. Does anyone know which one I should order that would fit it's dovetail?:confused:

Venom1956

http://www.caspianarmsltd.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=9&Itemid=18

Match it up.

One issue you haven't considered is adding all that mass to the slide will most certainly cause issues with cycling. Please just refer to it as the Colt Gold Cup .22 its not made by Walther at all. At least not in the sense your thinking. trust us.

There are far superior .22s that would work great with a fastfire. 22/45 comes to mind if you like how 1911s point.

Sir Loads-A-Lot

Venom...
First, I must correct you that the gun is made entirely by Walther in Germany except for the sights that are farmed out. Colt has nothing to do with making the gun. They only lended the name Colt to market it by Umarex. If I knew who made the sights I would have the answer to my question. A friend has a GSG 1911 .22 with a Fast Fire on it and cycles fine. The unit only weighs a couple of ozs. I will call Caspian and see if they can shed some light on which base I need.

Venom1956

I am guessing since you have the pistol you can match the picture? I betting on the top one.

Im 99.9% positive the 'Walther' on your gun is code for Umarex. Since they now own walther they can badge whatever product they make as one. AFAIK only the PPK, PPQ, and P99 are made in the actual Walther plant. They have the Ulm proof.

I'm betting yours has the Koeln proof which means it came from the Umarex plant in Germany. Which makes the Colt .22s, Walther P22 and the SP22 also the Pk380 is made there.

Show me the Ulm proof on your gun and I will stand corrected but until then I'm positive that 'Carl Walther' is on there simply for marketing purposes.

Regardless just refer to it as the Colt Gold Cup .22 it inserting walther seems excessive and unnecessary.

Venom1956

It's not made by Colt either...

True but the Umarex Walther Colt Gold Cup .22 sounds a bit much?

You don't see people calling the XD or XDm, the HS2000 Croatian Springfield XD do you? No. its the Springfield XD.

I'm just saying that 'Colt Walther' just seems to cause confusion. We all know Colt is marketing a .22lr 1911 regardless of who makes it. I simply explained the proofs to try and clarify who makes it.

Last edited:

Sir Loads-A-Lot

Venom...get a life buddy.
I asked a question about the sights and you get off on a tangent of what I should call the gun, where it is made and what factory it is made in. I don't really care. All I know is from other people with experiance that it is made by Carl Walther (stamped on the frame)...distributed by Umarex...licensed to be made by Carl Walther by Colt.
By the way, I called Caspian at your suggestion and they didn't know the gun when I called it a Colt 1911 .22. They thought I was referring to a conversion ( I have an Ace). They had no idea that one was being made by Walther until he looked it up on his computer.
So I guess it is a good idea to call it a Colt Walther Gold Cup .22 so it can be referenced properly.

Venom1956 said:
I'm just saying that 'Colt Walther' just seems to cause confusion. We all know Colt is marketing a .22lr 1911 regardless of who makes it. I simply explained the proofs to try and clarify who makes it.
No, we don't all know that. Colt's Manufacturing does not market the "Colt" 1911-22, it is imported and marketed entirely by Umarex USA. If you call Colt's customer service about one of these pistols, they'll tell you to contact Umarex.

And these pistols were introduced (as being made by Walther) at least a year before Umarex acquired Walther.

Venom1956

@Aguila Blanca & laytonj1

Sorry I had a typo in that post you quoted that isn't what I meat to say. It's not Colt so wouldn't Umarex Walther make more sense?

Umarex acquired Walther in 93? I don't see how either the Gold Cup .22, P22, or SP22 predate this event at all. I never said they made the 1911-22 that would be GSG and also Sig markets them. I am trying to say they are marketing the gun as a Colt not a Walther not a Umarex. I realize Colt will tell you to contact Umarex which would make more sense to refer to it as Umarex Colt 1911 Gold Cup .22 would it not? Would you like to continue this discussion over a PM? I would love to finish this and see exactly how our opinions differ. I simply believe Umarex uses 'walther' on their actual .22 firearms to avoid confusion with their main airsoft business.

@ Sir Loads-A-Lot
There is no reason to be rude. I answered your question in the first post. So when you said it was a 'Colt Walther' did caspian know what you were referring to? Those are all the standard dovetails for the rear of a 1911. Get the closest one and if it doesn't work get a file and alter the dovetail so it does.

I was simply trying to express if you insist on referring to it as a Colt Walther you might as well toss Umarex in there for good measure.

I wasn't trying to insinuate that the pistol was some how lesser by being made else where. When said that there are many better .22s that don't cycle the entire side for mounting optics which definitely wouldn't interfere with cycling.

Last edited:
Here is the product announcement as distributed by Umarex USA:

UMAREX USA INTRODUCES
.22 LR COLT GOVERNMENT 1911 SERIES

FORT SMITH, ARKANSAS – (May 13, 2010) – Umarex USA, the leader in firearm replication,introduces the Colt Government 1911 chambered in .22 L.R. The dedicated .22 long rifle (LR) platform is a new, licensed reproduction available in three rimfire variants—Government models 1911, 1911 Rail Gun, and 1911 Gold Cup.

Umarex USA introduced the Colt M4 and M16 Tactical Rimfire replicas in 2009 and is continuing its relationship as United States importer for Colt .22s manufactured by Carl Walther Germany under license from New Colt Holding Corporation. Adam Blalock, President and CEO for Umarex USA said, “.22 caliber pistols are utilized for their cost economy and target shooting capabilities. Our team is absolutely stoked about this opportunity to offer shooters a high quality authentic Colt 1911 .22 pistol! And the timing couldn’t be better, with the 1911 celebrating 100 years.”

All three Colt Government rimfire models are dedicated .22 L.R.s, but they’re engineered in true replica form with fully functioning thumb and grip safeties and the 1911’s authentic half-cock mechanism. Grips and sights can be interchanged with after-market accessories. The Rail Gun incorporates original features like a skeleton trigger, combat-style sights, beavertail grip safety, extended thumb safety, and a commander-style hammer.

“There are already a couple of .22 caliber 1911 pistols on the market, but none bear Colt’s trademarks, full functionality, and quality,” said Richard Turner, Vice President of Sales & Marketing for Umarex USA. “If the barrel size was the same, you wouldn’t know the difference by just looking at it.”

The new Colt .22 replicas will be available through select distributors, local firearm dealers and some national retailers beginning in November 2010. They will come with one 12-round magazine (10-round magazines are provided where required by law) and retail prices will range from $399 to $450 depending on the model.

For additional information visit http://www.Colt22Rimfire.com.

Umarex was established in 1972 as “Uma Mayer Ussfeller GmbH” and served the market for tear gas and signal pistols followed by air rifles. After acquiring Reck Sportwaffen Fabrick Karl Arndt, they reorganized ultimately under Umarex. The company’s Reck PK 800 enjoys worldwide acclaim and appears on the market as the perfect replica of the Walther PPK. Umarex has now become the largest maker of replicas by offering numerous German-made air guns, tear gas, signal pistols and replica firearms. Umarex is Europe’s largest marketer of air rifles and Umarex USA is North America's fastest growing airgun and replica rimfire gun company. Umarex USA markets their airguns, airsoft, paintball and rimfire products under famous brands such as Walther, RWS, Smith & Wesson, Browning, Heckler & Koch, Ruger, Beretta, Colt, Magnum Research and others. For additional information regarding Umarex USA visit www.UmarexUSA.com.
Some time after this May, 2010, announcement, Umarex USA announced that they were acquiring Walther and consolidating their U.S. operations at the Fort Smith, Arkansas, location. I don't recall if that announcement was in late 2011 or early 2012. I also don't recall if Umarex acquired the entire Walther operation, or only the segment that makes the rimfire pistols.