Colt Viper

omegapd

Hey All,

Gimmee the scoop on the old Colt Viper .38

A pawn shop in town has one for 350 and it's in very good-excellent shape. No box or papers. All I really know about it is that it was made for one year only. Think 1977 or so.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm wavering back and forth to put it on lay-away at that price.

EW

Dfariswheel

As you know, the Viper was only made for one year.
As a rare Colt, collector's are actively looking for these, and specialty collectors are look for one so they can complete a Colt "Snake" collection of every Colt named after a snake.

True, most collector's want one in new in the box condition, but as the limited supply is absorbed into collections, the price of even used models will go up.

Basically, the Viper is a longer barreled version of a Colt Cobra or Agent.
Actually, the Viper is nothing more than a new model Police Positive Special made with an aluminum frame.

Like all "D" framed Colt revolvers, it's a great shooter, very accurate, and extremely high quality.

You could shoot the Viper with +P ammunition, since Colt rated these later aluminum guns for up to 1000 rounds of +P with a factory inspection to follow.

Due to the limited number made, I'd recommend not shooting much +P, simply to preserve the gun.

Mossyrock

One thing to watch for....

Keep your eyes open for fake Vipers. After Colt pulled the short-lived plug on these, Gun parts Corporation (Numrich) bought a BUNCH of new Viper barrels and sold them for a good price. Quite a few folks rebarrelled their Cobras with these and, viola, instant Viper.