Colt v. Armalite v. Bushmaster AR style carbines

lonegunman

Which one is best? I am interested in a carbine version, light as possible.

The idea of a detachable handle seems nice in case I want to scope it for some reason, but are they durable?

I am strongly considering the Armalite... but admittedly its mainly because I like its looks better... is it as good a weapon as the Colt and BM?

Finally, is colt the sole supplier of AR style rifle to the US military??

Coronach

You just named the usual three suspects as top-quality AR producers. Do yourself one favor, though, please look at Rock River Arms. Their quality is very high, but their price is not.

Mike

Brian Williams

I think Colt does not supply any m-16's to the military any more. they sold a license to some body and they do all the supply. Go with Armalite or Rock river... check out the AR180

BrokenArrow

FN got a contract for M16A2s that were made in their plant in South Carolina. 100,000 rifles IIRC. I was issued an FN made rifle, seemed OK to me. Colt got the contract for the M4 carbine though, and next rifle contract IIRC.

I prefer the Colt and Armalite to Bushmaster. Seem to have better QC, produce fewer lemons. There are several BMs on the shelf at the local gunstore w defective front sights for example.

Charmedlyfe

I second the vote on Armalite! Mine has had ZERO problems, and works with EVRY type of magazine on the market (even Orlite and Thermold).

ether

I assume you're looking for a defensive/plinker type AR rather than a match-grade rifle. If you're looking for an AR with a NATO spec chamber (5.56mm vs. .223) with a fully chrome-lined bore and chamber, then Bushmaster is the only game in town. You can get fully chrome lined barrels with 5.56mm chambers (surplus Colts for example), but not on any complete postban rifle other than Bushmaster. Armalite makes a very nice rifle, and they are who I'd buy from if I was more interested in accuracy rather than reliability. I'm sure there are many people who have never had a malfunction in their Armalite. But Bushmaster's 5.56mm chamber has a looser tolerance (if only a little) than Armalite's .223 chamber, and I can only assume a Bushmaster could keep ticking longer, dirtier. I won't even consider a Colt. They might still chrome-line their chambers, but their bores are bare. Plus they use plastic instead of aluminum for their buffers and the trap doors on their stocks. I would rather have just about anything than a Colt, and in my opinion, the only thing they do better than anyone else are telestocks.

Charmedlyfe

Chrome lining ain't all it's cracked up to be. If you clean your weapon regularly, it won't matter.

Given the QC problems Bushmaster has had in the past, I'll stick with something that ALWAYS works. I especially like how the Bushmaster's out-of-spec mag well wouldn't allow use of polymer mags. Gee.....

ether

Have you ever tried to put a "polymer mag" in a Bushmaster, or are you operating on hearsay? My Bushmaster likes Thermolds just fine. Some folks have had problems seating Orlites in their Bushmasters, but I consider Orlites inferior anyway. Stick to aluminum USGI for defense. Chrome lining does more than just facilitate cleaning. It practically doubles your bore's life expectancy and it's very effective at protecting your bore from corrosion.