Colt Tropper MKIII .357 MAG

stangfan93

I was wondering what people thought of this particular piece. I have been wanting a revolver BAD and in .357 BAD! I saw one earlier this afternoon at an indoor range for $330. It is in very good shape i liked it right away. I went and got some money and put it on lay-a-way. What is the general consensus of this revolver? I figured "Hey if it turns out to be crap i'll just sell it"

Something that i think is really neat is that with Texas tax being 8.25% the gun will be $357 final price!

Dfariswheel

The Trooper Mark III is an extraordinarily high quality revolver.

After Colt could no longer afford to make their older models with the hand assembled and fitted actions, they introduced the Mark III series guns.
These were specifically intended to be a stronger, more trouble-free revolver than the older models.
Master gunsmith Jerry Kuhnhausen said that these later Colt's were the strongest medium framed DA revolvers of all time.

The Mark III has only one weakness, and that is, if you dry fire the revolver, use snap caps.
If you dry fire empty, the firing pin "might" break, and this requires a trip back to Colt for replacement.
The job CANNOT be done locally due to the need for special support dies and a press to change the pin without damaging the the frame.

The Mark III was later upgraded slightly as the Trooper Mark V, and again as the King Cobra.
These are all very high quality, accurate revolvers, that are typically a step above the competing guns from S&W and Ruger.
The Trooper Mark III is often mis-identified as the original Colt Trooper.

The Mark III was made from 1969 to 1983. It was available in .357 Magnum, .22LR, and .22 Magnum.
Finishes were bright blue that puts current guns to shame, bright nickel, and a satin electroless nickel, also known as "Coltguard".
Barrel lengths were 4", 6" and 8".
There were two types of factory walnut Target grips.
The First type has a square butt, the last type has a rounded butt:

First type Trooper Mark III Target grips:
TrooperMK3.jpg

Second type Trooper Mark III Target grips:
MarkIIIRound.jpg

jhenry

That was my first revolver

I actually had an issue Smith Model 15 first but a MKIII 4" blue was my first purchased revolver. I think I paid $175.00 back in 1981. It was extreemly accurate and I had zero problems. I wish I still had it. It also had a great action, very smooth and a light crisp single action let off.

slow944

I had one of the first Troopers made in '65 and traded it and a couple other guns to finance a Python, that I found in a pawnshop. With the trades it cost me $266 OTD but I really liked the trooper. Very smooth action and very accurate. I may have to go and buy it back to go with the Python. I have an extra Python barrel and could make the trooper into a "POOPER" or would it be a "TRYPHON"?? Anyway they are great guns and I think I've talked myself into buying it back. See you on the range....Jerry:D

stangfan93

So far so good from what i can tell. Thanks for the reassurance! I was getting kind of worried because The price is only as I said $330 and looking in the other display cases where the range had colts for much more I was getting a little worried. Heck, they even had a Mustang for $480!

I'm not sure when the gun was made but i will possibly get papers for it from Colt.

Lou22

I also had a MKIII as one of my first guns back in the 70's. I shot all sorts of loads thought it, including some hot handloads. Great gun, not a single malfunction. I later sold it for cash, then over the past 2 years bought 2 and plan to keep them. They may not see the value increase like Pythons, but I bet they'll appreciate as they get harder to find. I always thought the royal blue finish and wooden grips with the colt medallions had a unique and beautiful look.

Lou

Bulldog1806

I have the Colt Trooper .357 with the 6 inch barrel, I will put up pictures of her tomorrow. It was my fathers duty weapon as a sherrif in NC.

Webleymkv

The price is only as I said $330 and looking in the other display cases where the range had colts for much more I was getting a little worried.

This probably has more to do with demand than quality. The demand for a 4", Medium Frame DA Revolver has declined since police went to autos. This works out though, for those of us who still appreciate such things.

slow944

Revolving Rifle on The Outdoor Channel

I was watching some Cowboy Shooting On TOC last week and one of the contestants had a Revolving Rifle in 357. Now that would be cool to have one of those and a 357 revolver as well. My wifw's cousin does the Cowboy Gunfighter shows and he shoots two guns, a 357 RBH and a Uberti 44-40. Don't know what rifle he has but they really have a fun time at the shoot outs as he calls them.:D

boa2

Here are some pictures of my NIB(Unfired)Colt Trooper(4-inch)Mark III. it came from Colt with the second type of Colt Target grips. Although my pictures are fairly good, these pictures weren't able to truly bring out the beauty of the bluing on this gun(As was described above, by dfarriswheel):
P1010111.jpg

P1010110.jpg

P1010108.jpg

P1010122.jpg

P1010112.jpg

P1010127.jpg

22-rimfire

My 6" Trooper Mark III is my favorite 357 mag shooter. The fit and finish is excellent, balance great, and the trigger is excellent from the factory. You can not go wrong buying a Trooper Mark III as a shooter. I would suggest that you dig up some Pachmayr grips for it. You'll probably shoot better.

My other shooter 357 is a 3" Ruger GP100. People like them and I like mine, but they are not quite in the same league as Colts and Smith. Good though. Trooper is better.

I wish I had a 4" 357 Trooper MkIII..... hey, you gave me an idea for my next revolver purchase! I believe I will keep my eyes open for one.

Lou22

22-rimfire:

Check Gunbroker and Auction Arms online. You'll probably find at least a few 4" MKIIIs. I bought mine on Gunbroker.

Lou

stangfan93

I believe it already has some of the Pachmayr grips on there. I would prefer Hogue grips because i like the way those look. I think the Pachmayrs are ugly! :barf:

If quality is there and accuracy is there also then why is the gun so cheap? I have found similar guns for around the same price maybe $100 more. Some people have said it is on par with the Python, then why is the Python so expensive?

I do believe the 4" model will be next.

Dfariswheel

"If quality is there and accuracy is there also then why is the gun so cheap? I have found similar guns for around the same price maybe $100 more. Some people have said it is on par with the Python, then why is the Python so expensive?"

The Trooper Mark III is somewhat of a "sleeper" and it isn't the currently hot item Python or Diamondback, which is why they can be found at more reasonable prices.

The Trooper Mark III is NOT a Python, and isn't even in the same league....No gun is.

The Trooper Mark III is very similar to all other modern revolvers in that the internal parts were made of cast or injection molded steel to a very close spec, then assembled by a skilled worker who test fitted parts until a fit was achieved.

The Python was made of over-sized forged and milled parts that were hand stoned to a perfect fit by a Master revolver fitter.
The Python was virtually a hand made, hand polished, hand tuned, custom revolver in which no effort was spared to make it the finest DA production revolver of all time.

If Ruger's are inexpensive Chevy's, and S&W's are Cadillacs; the Trooper Mark III was a Mercedes, and the Python was a Rolls Royce.

22-rimfire

I think it's time to pick up a Mercedes. Buy it and enjoy it. Just don't dry fire it like many do with Rugers to smooth out the trigger.

highmtn

I recently bought a Trooper Mk III 6" that was built in 1974 from a local gun shop that was part of an estate. It is by far my favorite .357 and quickly becoming one of my favorite revolvers. It has a little holster wear on the muzzle end and cylinder, but is still beautiful. I bought it for $295 and wondered why it was not going for more. They also had an original Trooper, but I liked the Mk III much better. I know the original has more collectors value. But, I collect what feels best in my hand. Buy the Mk III and enjoy it.:)