Colt Trooper

onlybrowning

I recently purchased a Colt Trooper Mark III in .357 with a 6" barrel. The gun has an ultradot scope on it. I am wondering with handload tweaking, what kind of accuracy can be expected in this gun?

Also the gun looks like it is new, how could I find out when it was made? It has no signs of wear, and has a rubber grip.

22-rimfire

You can expect excellent accuracy from the Trooper Mark III. I have a 6" 357 that I really like and it shoots very nicely. The rubber grips work well for me for general shooting. If you have the original stocks, keep them.

Post the serial number J1234xx or what ever and we can easily look up the production year. You can also call Colt. They provide this information for free, but that is about the only free stuff you get.

onlybrowning

Great, I have been hoping that it will be accurate, as now I am considering it to be a range gun and not my hunting rig (not to imply that I want something less accurate for hunting, just maybe a different caliber). I do not have the wood grips, but maybe I can get some.

Lou22

I had a 4 inch MKIII years ago. It was very accurate (I won a high school pistol shoot with it). I recently bought a 6 inch MKIII (sort of a nostalgia trip). Has the beautiful blueing. First trip to the range I was amazed at the accuracy, even with full-powered Black Hills ammo.

You bought a great gun.

Lou

blume357

I guess

the wood grips are worth picking up, but once you put them on you will realize why they were taken off. At least for me, they are too big and black rubber such as Hogues are much better.

150-200 yards is about your limit with that pistol.