Colt Trooper Mark III 6"...

Big Bill

I have a chance to get a Colt Trooper Mark III 6" about 90% for $500. I think it's a good deal. What do you think? It's very smooth and real clean.

BillCA

I owned one of these in the 70's. Excellent revolver. It has the typical Colt trigger that stacks towards the end of the trigger pull. The six-inch version tames the .357 Magnum round pretty well too.

You're saying the gun is in 90% condition, so that price seems a bit on the high side. If it's simply holster wear I'd say it's a good deal. If there are bright marks in the lead-in grooves to the bolt notches, I'd make sure it was still in time before buying it. One that shows a lot of use I'd offer $350-$390 for it, provided it's still in time.

shortwave

+1 BillCA

Bought one a little over a year ago in a collection.

Pistol is pristine with not a sign of wear inside or out and locks up very tight.
Individual price was $450. Paid $400.

Big Bill

BillCA - there is only a little wear toward the front end of the barrel that looks as though it's holster wear. Other than that, it's like new.

aarondhgraham

$500 is not a bad price at all,,,

At least it isn't if you check what they are going for on Gunbroker.com.

I have a 4" in .357 and a 6" in .22 LR and quite enjoy shooting them,,,
Both have great feel and very nice triggers.

And like all Colts,,,
They ain't making any more of them.

Big Bill

aaron - I haven't seen very many good used Colts for sale here where I live. So, when I saw this one I bought it. I'm real happy with it. It's real accurate and a dream to shoot.

Xfire68

According to my gun book (2009 Standard Catalog of Firearms) it would have to be in or near perfect condition for $500. I would as others have said "try to get them down" a bit for it to be a 100% good deal.

celtgun

Colt Value

If it is not worth $500 today it will be one day. If in good mechanical shape
IMO it is worth 450 to 500.
At full lock up, hammer held back to full cock and trigger full back the cylinder should be held motionless, solidly!!! Any play means it is time for a tune up. This a Colt attribute and one of the reason they are held in high esteem. And they shot and look great. There is a thread on revolver check out on this site, I believe.
I really like my S&Ws, but my Colts are in a class by themselves. I'll own a Python when I die. And a pick-up truck.

Pray and Shoot Daily.
Lee Jones(Celtgun)

The truth is that any good modern rifle is good enough. The determining factor is the man behind the gun." Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Mike1957

Seems a little high for 90%. But colt prices have been going way up the last couple of years.
They are good shooting guns, but not in the same class as the Diamondbacks or Pythons.
I gave $325 for this one. 95%+ condition. But that was several years ago.

colttrooper3-1.jpg

Winchester_73

I just got one recently for $350 and sold it for $380. Did my friend a pretty good favor there. I wouldn't pay $500 for one, but in my area, Pgh PA, gun prices seem to be depressed, esp compared to the western states such as Idaho. The part of the country must be considered in these scenarios. I have a 686, so I felt like I could do without the trooper, and thus far I don't miss it. $500 could be a good deal in Idaho but the 6 in MKIII troopers seem to be the most common.

I really like my S&Ws, but my Colts are in a class by themselves. I'll own a Python when I die.

Colts are more correctly thought or rumoured to be in a class by themselves.

I wish people would do more than repeat what they're told, esp about Colt...:rolleyes: