Colt Trooper Mark 3

Rothdel

Well I don't need another revolver but about the time I finally get my head around that concept I find a revolver I want. Go figure.

Found a Colt Trooper Mark 3 at the LGS yesterday. Blued and appears to be in solid shape guessing 90%+. I could not get a look in the bore as I got there right as they were getting ready to close. Lock up is tight and everything appears to be in very good working order. Comes with the original box but no papers. They are asking $799 for the gun. I know very little about Colts so wanted to ask you fine folks about this one.

Decent price? Anything I should be aware of or look out for?

Sarge

I've owned a few MKIII's (though I favor the Lawman series) and have shot a dozen or so more. I have never been disappointed with any of them. They won't have the slick DA you'll find on older Colts and most S&W's. But they are shootable, tough sixguns that are often quite accurate.

DaleA

I believe Colts have a certain 'mystique' about them (maybe 'class' would be a better term) but if you just want a heavy duty shooter I'd give the Rugers a comparison look.

Maybe a Ruger GP100:
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/70258

or maybe an S&W 686 Plus (7 round revolver):
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...s_id/26266/S&W+M686+Plus+7RD+357MAG38SP++P+4"

Either one would be cheaper than the Colt.

I don't know if the 'corporate' problems Colt is having should be factored into your decision or not because I don't know their current situation or even if it would have any bearing on support anyway.

I also don't know if the Colt is going to appreciate in value, it certainly isn't a Python but maybe Colt collectors will push the price up anyway.

Good luck.

Rothdel

Own both of the revolvers mentioned above. I'm asking specifically about the Colt and not really looking for other suggestions of revolvers I should look at. Is the $799 price tag inline? Looking online I'm seeing prices all over the board and given my lack of knowledge on Colts just looking for a few pieces of advise on this particular type of revolver.

FlyFish

I have a couple of Mark IIIs. As others have said, they're very nice revolvers and not too long ago - when prices were in the $300-$400 range - were considered a good value in a strong and accurate .357. Like all Colt revolvers these days, prices have skyrocketed, but unlike the ridiculous money I see being asked for Pythons, I think the $799 you're looking at is about correct, though whether it's worth that to you is something only you can decide.

Master Blaster

One thing to consider in the Trooper MKIII Lawman MKIII series is that the cylinder may be a bit shorter than a similar Ruger or S&W. Depending on the bullet you plan to shoot that may make a difference to you or not.

I had a Lawman MKIII and my .357 magnum reloads had a nasty habit of bullets unseating under recoil, and the 158 LSWC creeping forward and tying up the cylinder when I shot them in my lawman MK III.

I never had this problem in my 686 or model 19 and model 66 smiths. It only happened in the Lawman MKIII. I have a very good roll crimp and could keep a round in the 686 or my 66 for 50 rounds without firing it but firing the rest of the cylinder and the creeping issue never happened in the Smiths. In fact the bullet stayed firmly seated in the case with no signs of bullet creep. 3 shots fired in the Colt and the bullet would be creeping out of the case in the other three cylinder holes.

I sold the Colt and never figured out why it happened in that gun.

aarondhgraham

Look at it this way,,,

Look at it this way,,,
It's a Colt revolver and will only appreciate.

$799.00 is a serious chunk of change,,,
But not really all that much more than a S&W 686.

I own a well worn 4" in .357 and it's a great shooter,,,
Strong and heavy enough to beat a rhino to death with.

The 6" .22 I own is near pristine,,,
I paid $750 for it around 6 years ago,,,
I have a standing offer for $1,000 any time I want to sell it.

There is that mystique about Colt revolvers,,,
I think they will always be in the "collectable" category.

When the Colt Snake guns are all bought up,,,
The lesser known Colts will only appreciate faster.

My point is that with a Colt,,,
You should always be able to get your money back.

Aarond

DPris

Member Emeritus
It's a bit high, I think.
There's also the trigger vulnerability & lack of parts to consider.
Denis

Eazyeach

I'm with Aarond. I'd offer $750 and see what he says, but you will not lose any money if you decide to sell later. The fact that it has the original box also helps the value. Lots of colt guys want that box with their pistols.

Rothdel

Went back over Lunch to look at this gun one more time and holy crap a little bit of time and light makes a heck of a difference. This gun is as close to perfect as I'm liable to see. In fact I'm not 100% its ever been fired. The forcing cone and the front of the cylinder have no discoloration at all. There were some finger prints on the gone that I took to be dull spots last night that about 10 seconds of polishing cleaned right up. I'm guessing it is 98-100%.

Guv

Equivalent Smith's (19, 586, etc...) might command a similar price and I think it's pretty much their equal. Mk III's were pretty rugged guns, I've had several over the years, never one problem. I you like it and the forcing cone looks good I'd say it's a fair price, never hurts to haggle over the price though.

Rothdel

I pulled the trigger so to speak. Got them down to $745 plus a set of used grips for another of my guns. Over all I'm happy with it and I think thats what matters most at least to me.

FlyFish

I agree you made the right decision - you'll always be able to get your money back out, should you want to, so you didn't really spend it, only changed it into a different form (at least that's what I tell my wife :D)

Dfariswheel

The Mark III and later Colt's are absolute tanks that were specifically designed for unlimited shooting with full charge Magnum ammo.

The only caution is to use snap caps for dry firing.
Rarely, you find a firing pin that wasn't heat treated properly and may break if dry fired.
Replacement requires a trip back to Colt for replacement since highly special equipment is necessary to avoid damaging or ruining the frame.
Since Colt is no longer working on older guns, they may not do a FP replacement at all.

Driving the pin assembly out and a new one in with a hammer and punch is an absolute NO-NO.

Other then that, the only way to do a trigger job is to install a lighter spring kit, still available from Wolff Gun Springs.
DO NOT do ANY "polishing" of action parts.
These are made of sintered steel, an early form of MIM steel, and were given a very thin, glass hard surface treatment.
Any polishing will break through and expose soft inner steel, ruining the part.

In these later Colt's parts cannot be adjusted like in older Colt models.
In these later models repairs are done by replacing the part.
If it doesn't fit and function correctly, you send it back for an exchange until you get one that does drop in.

But, these later Colt's are the M1-A1 Abrams tank of medium frame DA revolvers.