Colt, the old VS the new

Lee6113

So I’ve got the bug again. I want a new revolver- specifically a Colt, and specifically a 6shot capacity. My question is do I get an old Colt detective special .38? Or the new Colt Cobra .38? Any thoughts? My impulse is to go with the detective special, not only is it a classic piece of history, but I don’t believe new is always better. But I would like to hear thoughts. Which would you get? Or do you have alternative suggestions?

Thanks!

Lee

Attachments

• 24D8A62A-5206-4340-8053-B7A30AA844AA.jpeg
    24D8A62A-5206-4340-8053-B7A30AA844AA.jpeg
    75.4 KB · Views: 81
  • 21C3A448-86C2-4F47-AC06-562C9549BD6F.jpeg
    21C3A448-86C2-4F47-AC06-562C9549BD6F.jpeg
    49.1 KB · Views: 69

Armybrat

I'd prefer a 3rd Series Detective Special made in the 1970s...

400px-ColtDS.jpg

Ricklin

Agree

Will take a while to find a nice one...the whole Python thing has bumped the price up on all the old Colt revolvers.

I'd like to find one with heavy holster wear so I won't feel too bad as it develops more "character"

But then there was the old Police Positive special I had, could not hit the broad side of a barn, from inside the barn. Of course it was totally shot out with just a suggestion of rifling remaining. A new barrel would have put it right as rain.

Instead I traded it off with full disclosure. Traded for a 1903 made in 1921. Tucked the original chipped grips away and put some nice Rosewood grips on it mistake, now it's my wifes gun.

And so it goes.....when I finally broke down and purchased an AR? It has the pony on it.

rodfac

Well, if you've got to have a Colt, then get one of the older ones. If you get a good one and take care of it, it'll appreciate in value. Now if you want to actually shoot the thing, especially in DA mode, a Smith is where you need to look. YMMV, Rod

Last edited:

James K

Member In Memoriam
Few people will deny that the older Colts are beautifully made classics but the truth is that they were/are notorious for going out of time, and costing a fortune to repair. Worse, today there are few parts available and those are expensive, plus the old timers who could repair those guns are getting thin on the ground.

So, I will have to say that if you want a Colt snubby revolver, buy the new gun. But you might consider holding off until there is more data available on them. In the meantime, I would go with the S&W, Ruger, or another brand that has a track record.

Jim

Old Stony

Totally agree...I've seen a lot of old ones with timing issues and guys that can fix them properly are hard to find.

Ibmikey

Add me to the list of those who found many Colts with a timing problem, something rarely encountered with the S&W. I know of no one that I would take an out of time Colt to today.

reddog81

Buy whichever one you want. Assuming you do your due diligence you should be able to find a good older one. Or if you want a new one buy it. Plenty of people are still seeking out the old ones and the new ones are still selling briskly.

DPris

Member Emeritus
As a shooter- new.
As an example of older quality- old.

The facts above relative to the older guns are very true.
The new one isn't as nice, but it IS backed up by the factory & new parts ARE available there.
Denis

Model12Win

The new Cobras are phenomenal revolvers from all reports, head and shoulders superior to virtually anything else in its class. And it has Colt quality and wears the pony, something the others will never have.

reddog81

The new Cobras are phenomenal revolvers from all reports, head and shoulders superior to virtually anything else in its class. And it has Colt quality and wears the pony, something the others will never have.

I'm not sure I would go that far. I've been wanting to get one but I'm hesitant to buy online due to the reports of large barrel to frame gaps, poor triggers on some examples, and very sharp edges on some of the parts. I want to inspect in person before buying. All of the parts are outsourced and Colt assembles them in house. It might be better than a Ruger and maybe even S&W's but not head and shoulders above them.

DPris

Member Emeritus
Model Cooldill,
You're a bit over the top on this one. :)

I might consider the new Cobra above a Charter or an Armscor, but that'd probably be about it. :)
It's not bad, but it's not phenomenal.
Denis

batmann

I, stupidly, sold a Colt Dective model with the unshrouded cyl eject rod, nickel plated with the original grips. Of all my firearms transactions, that is the one I most regret.
I can’t speak one way or the other on the new ones, but the older one I had was very, very good.

James K

Member In Memoriam
I doubt that many of us could afford a new Colt made the same way they were made in, say, 1930. Some estimates of the cost to make those guns today as they were made then run into the $5000 (retail) range and that would be for a plain, blued gun.

Jim

Eddietruett

Since I own both a 3rd gen Detective Special from mid 70’s and a new Cobra, I will throw in my 2 cents worth. The DS is hands down the best gun. Only pros I can see in the Cobra are stainless steel for ease of cleaning and durability and the advantage of easy to change front sight. My DS has a much better action but I understand some of the new Cobras are slicker than others. Accuracy is about the same but either is certainly accurate enough for carry. The DS will only go up in price if history is any indication. The Cobras are going down now that there are some available. I saw 2 at last gun show I attended and seller said he would take $650 ea. To me there’s also something about owning a gun that is no longer made versus one still being made

pete950

I had the same bug last week!
I have old Colts and Smiths!

I just wanted somthing new so I went and got the new Colt Cobra.
Love it so far just playing with it, I will get around to shooting it in the next day or so and will report back!