Colt Target Serial numbers look up issue

baddarryl

Hi all. I am sort of looking for an older Colt Target or Match Target HBAR. Question is when I go to Colts serial number lookup and comes back as not found. This has happened with 3 rifles I am looking at. Any idea what gives?

There is one locally a Match Target HBar Serial CMH000xxx that need a trigger group and rear sight in the fixed carry handle. Only $500 and I am seriously tempted.
Thanks.

Last edited:

bfoosh006

Excellent chance it uses "Large Pins" for the trigger group ( .170" vs normal .154", A rifle ban roundabout... and seriously can limit trigger options )

.. and possibly the larger upper / lower disassembly pins.... Ironically this is easier to "fix", IMHO.

Offset front pin gizmo fixes that.

Sorry, don't know much about the S/N lookup.

Charlie98

Like bfoosh mentions... be aware of what you are buying. I bought a Colt H-Bar in the early '90's... it's a 'big pin' model and a pain in the rear... triggers being the biggest problem. I believe either (or both) Geissele or Timney make big pin drop in triggers, but I don't know if they are good for service rifle competition (I don't shoot competitively.) It's an issue because my Colt, still as box stock as the day I bought it, has, absolutely, the worst trigger in the safe. I NEED a new trigger...

Having said that... $500 is hard to go wrong unless this thing was drug behind a truck or something. The features of the rifle will tell you, generally, when it was made, give or take. Bayonet lug, big pin triggers, big pin uppers, sear block... all that stuff are clues if you can't pin down the exact DOM.

veprdude

On some of the earlier Colts the serial number is often misinterpreted. For example "Colt SP153735" or something might be interpreted as "SP1 53735" since someone is thinking it's an SP1 with serial number of 53735 instead of SP153735.

Maybe omit the "CMH" and search just the numerical part of the serial number. Colt's website might spit out more results since the search is less specific.