Colt series 70 Commander

KITT

I put a new adj. trigger and a hammer in my series 70 Colt. The hammer came out of a Para Ordnance pistol. When I took it out and shot it today the hammer would follow the slide back down. I would cocked the hammer by hand, shoot the gun, the gun would fire, and the hammer would not stay at full cock. What have I done/not done??? Do I have to have a 70 series hammer?:confused:

BBBBill

All of the Para Ordnance hammers that I've seen have a different style full cock notch, similar to the HiStandard pistol hammers. Not many folks I know like to fool with them. Instead, they much prefer a good aftermarket hammer or an original Series 70. That said, just like any other newly installed component, it MUST be fitted to the gun at hand. What fit properly in one gun very seldom will drop in to a correct fit in another. Reading between the lines, are you experienced with the proper fitting of 1911 parts? Do you have the proper tools to fit the engagement surfaces? If not seek out a smith who has the requisit experience/tools for the job. Or get the Kuhnhausen books, a Brownells catalog and a pot full of time & money for the tools and git to learning like I did. Took me 29 years and lots of wrecked parts :eek: up to this point but I don't regret it. You must decide for yourself. :)