Colt SAA Vs Uberti

TomL

I have a question for you folks that are familar with these revolvers. If a shooter was blindfolded and given a Colt SAA just to hold and then given a Uberti, same model/bbl length etc, or vice versa on being given which first, could an experienced person tell the difference, if there is any? The reason I ask is I do not want to shoot my never been fired Colts but sure would like to have some fun with the 45 LC, hence the Uberti option. Thanks. Tom

Jim March

Probably not. The key differences are in metallurgy, spring quality and machine fit'n'finish.

Once you cock it and fire, there's probably going to be a difference in hammer/trigger feel. And there's very likely to be an accuracy difference.

In your shoes, I would strongly recommend taking a look at the USFA Rodeo!!! THAT gun is really at least as good a gun as a Colt SAA if not *better*, but with a very plain-jane finish to keep the cost down. Spanks the hell out of any Uberti at a price not much higher.

Jeff H

RUGER!

Colt thinks very highly of their guns and prices them accordingly. Pick up any one of the extensive line up of Ruger single actions and you won't be disappointed. I have a Blackhawk in 357 that is a hoot, but if you need fixed sights for your event they make the Vaquero.

The plus side to buying a Blackhawk over a Vaquero is that you get the ability to shoot those hot as heck Ruger only loads :D

Doublestack

I have 4 pairs of Uberti's. They are as accurate as any Colt I have fired. I have not had the opportunity to shoot the USFA guns. When you buy a Colt, you are paying for a name. Granted they will hold their value, and people will pay ridiculously high prices for them. I have nothing against the Colt's except the price tag. Buy a Uberti or two through Cimarron, and you will have a fine shooter that you won't have to worry about shooting, and have enough money left over for ammo!

DS.

CraigC

You're not likely to be able to tell the difference blindfolded, unless you're able to discern minute differences like the setscrew Uberti uses for their blackpowder frame SAA's. Both are typically equally rough inside. However, you would be sure to notice the difference between the two and a USFA. You'll swear it's had an action job. They are very slick right out of the box.

That said, there's really no reason not to shoot your Colt's if they're third generation guns. Unless they're a rare variation, it won't appreciate in value in your lifetime but think of the joy you would experience in shooting them!

Jim March

A Colt built right will usually out-shoot an Uberti, but there have been "low points" in Colt's quality control during which Uberti would usually spank 'em.

The reason I didn't talk about Ruger is that it's not a "traditional action" inside. The Ruger New Vaquero is the closest to a Colt SAA and it's pretty close - fits in the same holsters for starters. But it's a tad heavier despite being the same size, and the way the action works inside is very different. You load a Ruger with the hammer all the way down and there's no half-cock; Colts load/unload on half-cock. Colts have flat springs, Rugers are coil. Etc.

The USFA on the other hand is more like a Colt than the Uberti, never mind Ruger.

TomL

Colt SAA vs Uberti

Thanks for the input guys. CraigC, you are probably right on about appreciating. Just it's NIB and I am hesitant about putting that first round down the tube!

James K

Member In Memoriam
Just FWIW, I have handled a few single actions and IMHO, the only one that feels like the pre-WWII Colt is the USFA. Not even the current Colt really has that indefinable something that just feels "right." I think it is the grips rather than the metal, but there do seem to be some small differences in the grip straps as well.

For a gun to use and abuse, the Rugers are the absolute best, but they don't feel, look, or operate like the old Colts. Good guns, but...

Jim

cimarronvalley

Colt vs Uberti?

Get the Uberti. With blade sights, what the heck. I've got my grandfathers Colt SS Frontier (1889) that you would be lucky to hit the side of a barn at 100 feet. I've reloaded it and cast lead bullets for it from .452-.457 with little results escept for the .457 wad cutters. I've had a .22 SA Frontier back in the 70s with adj. sights that was a tack driver out to 100 yards. However, sinc you are talking SAA revolvers with blade sights, I would definitely go for Uberti since the price is reasonable. You are essentially using the front blade for alignment and in SASS shooting I've seen, they have compared above Colt and along with Ruger Vaquaro. The Uberti is an exact mechanical copy of the original Colt SSA made back in the 1870's. I prefer them since that is what I grew up on.

The Ruger SA is the ultimate Rube Goldberg design of SA Pistols. Tear a Colt or Uberti down and it is simple. Take a Ruger apart and you have these little (I DO MEAN LITTLE) springs and miniscule beaings that fly everywhere. They are worse than completely tearing down an M-1 Garrand. But as far as accuracy and firepower (pressure strength) they are the king. All of the Rugers have adjustable sights.

I have my Grandads .45 Colt SAA which is retired, three Uberti's (.45C, & 2 - 357mags), a Charles Daly .45C (AKA Uberti), and 4 Rugers; 91 .44 Superblackhawk, 93 .44 Superblackhawk, 63 .357 Blackhawk, and a 06 .30 caliber Blackhawk. Anytime you want to clear the pistol range, just load that .30 Blackhawk about 2400 fps and watch them scatter. The noise is unbelievable.

Bottom line, get the Uberti for a good price ( $400 or much less).

Jim March

All of the Rugers have adjustable sights.

cimarronvalley: you have no idea what you're talking about. The Ruger Vaquero (based on the same size frame as the post-1973 Blackhawks and Superblackhawks) shipped between 1993 and 2005, replaced by the "New Vaquero" built on a smaller frame very similar in size, strength and heft to the Colt SAA. All Vaqueros are fixed-sight similar to the SAA.

scottaschultz

TomL wrote: Just it's NIB and I am hesitant about putting that first round down the tube!
A little off topic, but...

I felt the same way after I bought my NIB 50th Anniversary .357 Blackhawk. I knew once I fired it, it would no longer be NIB, but doggone it, I bought the gun to shoot, so I took it to the range and never looked back!

Its sort of like getting that first door ding on a new car. Shoot the gun, it will be OK, I promise!

Scott

nero

Look at AWA's Ultimate 1873. Beautiful blue/CH finish (the CH done by Turnbull). Nice satin finished walnut grips. Leaf mainspring replaced by a coil spring. Feels like it's had an action job right out of the box. Improved sights. The parts are made in Italy (I believe by Pietta) and put together very well by AWA. ~$700

http://www.awaguns.com/default.htm

http://www.hobbygunsmith.com/Archives/Apr04/Interview.htm

I own/have owned new & old model Vaqueros, a Longhunter USFA Rodeo, and several Ubertis, and my AWA Ultimate is the nicest of the bunch.

nero

TomL

Ok now a new maker shows up, AWA. Sounds like a well made piece but like the USFA price is hedging to less that $300.00 for the genuine Colt. Of course 300 bucks buys lots of ammo! I think I will have to go to a store and do the hands on test. Thanks All. Tom

CraigC

Sounds like a well made piece but like the USFA price is hedging to less that $300.00 for the genuine Colt.
I'd have a hard time paying $700 for a gussied-up Pietta when the US-made USFA SAA is only slightly more. It's the USFA model that is closest to the Colt SAA in features and finish. It's about $300 less than Colt and still a much better sixgun. Their premium Pre-War model is even with the Colt in price but a far better sixgun with a level of finish that Colt has not had since before WWII. Colt has gotten much better in recent years but USFA is just plain better. It just doesn't have that mystical name that so many clamor for.

Last edited:

TomL

LOL You all leave without me. Think I'll stay and save my samolians for the Colt. Something about that "mystical" part. Tom

erikrichard

I'm getting tempted by the AWA for $565. It has the Turnbull finish just like the USFA? and comes with a color cased hammer, one piece walnut grips AND comes in .357 mag?
Usfa would add almost $400 to the $975 price of the Single Action for these grips and hammer, making it WAY more expensive.

Last edited:

CraigC

I'm getting tempted by the AWA for $725. It has the Turnbull finish just like the USFA? and comes with a color cased hammer, one piece walnut grips AND comes in .357 mag?
Usfa would add almost $400 to the $975 price of the Single Action for these grips and hammer, making it almost twice the price.
The street price isn't quite that much but you do make a valid point.

jjyergler

If the grips are the same, you'll never know blindfolded. I have owned two Uberti .357 and a friend has a Colt. There may be differences in metalurgy, but as to fit and finish, the Ubertis were just as good as the Colt. Springs, etc, the Colt may be better quality and last longer, but for my purposes, the Ubertis are without flaw. For a more serious, dedicated SA shooter, the Colt may have advantages. As an occasional shooter, I couldn't see a difference.

However, I got quite the response when I took the Ubertis to my local bowling pin shoot. The guys with the STI and Kimber race guns really gave me some good expressions when I put my two nickel revolvers on the table. The auto guys got to use extra mags, the revolver guys got speed loaders, they ruled I could use two SAs, but I only had ten shots, while most everyone else had at least fifteen per round. Since we shoot the pins off a 4x8 sheet of plywood, sometimes the pins took an extra shot or two to get to the ground.