Colt SAA inventory?

H.W. French

So after 20 years of Vaqueros and clones I've decided to try for a Colt. Specifically a late model 3rd Gen; P1850. All inventory around here has dried up within the last few months. I've noticed several on the auction sites in varying degrees of condition and going for between $1100 and $1700! I know they are only worth what someone will pay but I draw the line at MSRP which is about 1400.
Does anyone have a line on a stocking dealer that actually has inventory? Or are they all waiting for the vendors to be replenished?

Howdy

A similar question was asked on the SASS Wire a few weeks ago. Here is what one well known Colt dealer had to say. I have not corrected his grammatical errors:

"OK.Here's the deal on Colt. Colt has not shipped any new SAA's to their dealers in nearly 3 years! They even suspended Custom Shop Orders, but i did hear from a fellow dealer that they were accepting Custom Shop orders again with a 15-24 month waiting peeriod from time of order.Absolutely absurd. But even so, NO new SAA's have been shipped as regular production to dealers. Yes, prices are sky high for new 3rds.Median price on GB and other internet sites is about $1600 for a plain blue/cch SAA. As you know, Colt is only producing (when and if they ever actually do) 45 caliber and 357 caliber as regular production guuns. Other calibers have to be special ordered through the Custom Shop As you have probably found, the secondary market for SAA's is about dried up, at least on auction sites. Pretty much the same with 1911's.The Custom Shop is also not taking orders for custom 1911's at this time. I have no idea what is going on at Colt, but SAA's and even 1911's are very difficult to find,at least as production guns from Colt. Your only bet is the secondary market, i.e. Gunbroker

Hunter0924

I can say that Colt is pretty backed logged on production pistols. As I understand it they are focusing on turning out what is in the highest demand now.
It has taken me longer to get Colt test guns this past year than the past 5 years.

H.W. French

Yeah, I read that post too. I'm not really holding out any hope right now. At this point I'm just trying to get on a list. If it was a custom order I could be a little more empathetic to the whole situation, but these are cataloged models. On the other hand it is an icon and Colt's prerogative to manufacture as many as they wish for however long they desire. I get that.