Colt SAA -- Finally Got One!

Coltman 77

Stopped in my local gunshop Monday morning and discovered a very lightly used early 70's .45 Colt SAA. :)

I've wanted one since I was a kid, watching Gunsmoke, Bonanza and Rawhide.

Can't wait to get to the range with her!

cowboygun004.jpg

shafter

Go the Matt Dillon route and skip the twirling. . . .

Nice gun though. I love SAA's and would like to get one in your barrel length. Get some good wooden grips on it soon. It looks a little unnatural in black plastic.

Model-P

Au contraire, it looks perfect with those stocks; they are original Colt since the 1880s. If you want to replace the stocks, put on some nice ivory that is befitting a fine Colt, but keep the original stocks. Congratulations!

yournodaisy

Congrats!! I got my first SAA colt a few months back. Now all ya need to do is get a western holster from Wmbrownholsters in tombstone Az. An Ike clanton or Matt Dillon would be perfect for that gun.. JMHO..nice going.;)

9mm

I always wanted to learn how to shoot SAA from the hip. I would use a 22lr SAA to save on $$$$$$$$$

CajunBass

That's a fine looking Colt you got there. I'm going to have to break down and get me one of those one of these days. I like a little shorter barrel myself, but yours is probably more "authentic" shall we say.

I always wanted to learn how to shoot SAA from the hip. I would use a 22lr SAA to save on $$$$$$$$$

Then Colt had something for you too, "back in the day."

Frontier Scout from 1967.

100_0069.jpg

New Frontier from 1971 (IIRC).

100_0334.jpg

highpower3006

Congratulations!

While the SAA clones may be nice enough guns, there is nothing like holding a real Colt in your hands. You'll have a blast shooting that piece of history.

I wanted one for years, and finally the stars aligned right and I had the money in my pocket when I ran across one for sale.

Frontier Six Shooter (.44-40) with the blackpowder frame and bullseye ejector
IMG0433-XL.jpg

IMG0435-XL.jpg

Straitshot

Love those single actions

Coltman 77 that is truly a nice one! Like you guys I really like Colt single actions and have owned a few of them. There is something said for owning an original especially if it is a first or second generation.

Last edited:

gak

Early 70s would make it a 2nd Gen - hard to get any better than that! Despite the common "six shooter" term, if you haven't owned a Colt SAA-patterned gun before, remember load only five (load one, skip one, load four)...and enjoy!

Also, +1 need to get a Matt Dillon rig for that 7-1/2"! (lots of makers, including the above mentioned) --or you can go the Eastwood route and put your 7.5's in a 5.5" holster :) (amusingly in Good, Bad and Ugly--1851 Navy, and High Plains Drifter - Colt SAA), the same one he used all the way from the last half of Rawhide, through the Spaghettis on to at least a few movies following like Hang 'Em High, Two Mules..High Plains, etc. He just liked his rig regardless of what length gun!

Last edited:

Ideal Tool

Hello, Coltman77. In addition to what Gak said..If this is your first S.A.A., always pull hammer back to full cock before letting it down ( never from 1/2 cock) as bolt will score cylinder.

Shotgun693

I hope to get a third one after Christmas. I want a nickel BP frame, .45 5 1/2" barrel.

When you're shooting a match and someone walks up and says, 'That's a REAL Colt isn't it?', that kinda makes ya feel good all over.:D

bds32

Congrats. I got one back in August, a 2nd Generation .357 with the 5 1/2 barrel. Very beautiful. Shoots very nice.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Hi, Cajun Bass,

Unless you do weights, if you want a SA .22, go with the Ruger Single Six or the old Colt scout. Not many folks have actually handled a full size SAA in .22, but I can tell you it is not something the average guy will play fast draw with. When you take that much steel, and drill that small a hole, you have a LOT of metal left and it is heavy!

Jim