Colt Python

PunchinPaper

I saw a Colt Python the other day a buddy of mine has , it is nickle with gold accents w/colt medallion rubber grips. He doesn't know anything about the history of the gun. We were wondering if this was a common model , or a Colt custom order, or maybe just someones plating job. The hammer, trigger and cylinder latch are all gold plated. I know alot of you guys are much more knowledgeable about vintage Colts then myself so I came here for info first.
Thanks

mrray13

While I can't help with the answer, I can

ASK FOR PICS!!!

Lol, sorry. Would just like to see this Python. I bet it's gorgeous!

Mac1

I'm not sure it would be a Colt custom. I have a GP100 with the same accents, trigger, hammer and release gold plated. I did some research with Ruger and found out through the serial # it was sent from the factory to Talo company. Talo did 500 of these, and added some very nice Ahrend grips.
Contact # for Talo is 508-872-9242. The guy I spoke to was very pleasant and knowledgeable. They also have a websight.
Might not be the story on your Python, but it sounds very similar. I asked the guy if this is a shooter or a keeper, and he said it's what you want it to be. May increase in value 50 years from now because only 500 were done. Gun powder residue cleans off of gold just the same as it does stainless. Mine's a shooter, and different from everybody else's. Hope this helps, be safe, Mac.

IMTHDUKE

postpics.gif

SwampYankee

1. The OP gives a pretty good description of the gold accents on the gun.

2. I've seen a Python before. As has just about everyone on the forum.

3. I've seen guns with gold plated parts. I expect most people have.

4. I have the slightest bit of imagination.

5. If you were well versed in the history of the Python, you probably would know if the gun in question is custom or not (See item #1 where the OP does a very good job of describing it).

The worthless part is when people cry for pictures but wouldn't be able to answer the OP's question if they were emailed 2 dozen pictures of the firearm in question.

alienbogey

I own two Pythons, I've seen gold trimmed pistols, I have an imagination........and I, for one, still would like to see pictures. :cool:

SwampYankee

My point seems to have been missed. But this is the internet, so I am not surprised. My point is that the thread is anything but pointless and screaming the thread is pointless with animated gimmicks is ridiculous. Sure, you may want to see a picture of the gun, but the question asked by the OP is perfectly reasonable without pictures and no one who has asked for pictures has said, for example, "I'm a Colt historian and while Colt did make such firearms in a limited run of XX in 19XX, I'd need to see how it was done to tell if it was factory".

357 Python

While I have 2 Pythons (blue) I am by no means an expert. I have seen photos of Pythons like that but I don't recall if they were factory or not. The rubber grips with the Colt medallion came on revolvers during the mid 1980s from what I can gather. The only real way to find out is to give Colt a call and get the Python lettered. Colt will tell you when it was made, where it was shipped, and known condition as it left the factory (barrel length, and anything special). I hope this helps some.