Colt Python Value

corvairkid64

A friend of mine asked me to research the current value of his Colt Python 357 Mag, purchased new in 1968. He inherited it a few years ago.
He also asked me to find out what it was selling for back in '68.
Your input will be greatly appreciated.
KL

Don P

Original box, papers, and grips will add to the value. Condition will also play a big roll in price. Photos will be helpful.

Winchester_73

So how much is a Ford Mustang worth?

Well what features does it have?

We need to know a lot more about the python in question before value can be estimated. Merely asking what a python is worth without telling the features is not worth doing. We need to at least know the finish, caliber (38 or 357), barrel length, box and papers, condition, original grips, etc. Without that info, whats a Mustang worth? :rolleyes:

corvairkid64

I get your points! I will try to get more specific info on the gun.
Thanks.
PS: A mustang isn't worth much in any condition IMO. :D

GUNKWAZY

If you wanted an argument from a guy that doesn't even like the Python just ask Winchester_73.
He'd be happy to tell you.
If you would like an honest answer from people that actually like the Python, just skip past the Win_73.

FYI: Original list price for a Python in 1968 was $140.00

Condition, barrel length & finish are all factors in the current market price.
When I say condition, I'm talking specifics as well as grips/stocks and box & papers. FYI: There was no manual for a 1968 Python so it should not have that. It also was only offered in 357 magnum in 1968.
And yes, pictures would help greatly.

Thanks, Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

Winchester_73

Condition, barrel length & finish are all factors in the current market price.When I say condition, I'm talking specifics as well as grips/stocks and box & papers.

Well I'm sure paraphrasing the other posts helped the OP a great deal. I don't need to like a particular gun to know the market for them. I would invest in a Python instantly, because many others believe the hype. I don't have to believe the hype myself in order to make money due to other people's beliefs, no matter how ridiculous.

Btw KoltCwazy, I finally got to shoot a python the other day. It had a good trigger, SA at least. DA had the stack but it was good for a Colt, very mild. It gave me a great group and the high polish stainless was beautiful. But then again, my 686 groups great and I don't need a revolver for shooting that offers primarily a fancy finish and a vent rib which costs 4x what I paid for a 686. I'd much rather have the unsung hero than fall for peer pressure. Just my opinion...

Last edited:

RDak

FWIW Corvair, I bought a 1965 pristine Python (blued, 6" barrel) for $1,300 a few months ago.

I thought I paid a little too much for it but many of the Colt collectors said that price was within market ranges.

It appeared to have been fired very little and was just beautiful. I didn't get a great deal but it turns out I probably got a fair deal.

ETA: Oh, I live in Michigan, so YMMV.

pogo2

My estimate

Assuming the Python in question is a 6 inch blue model in excellent condition with original wood grips, the value should be about $1,200. I looked at new Pythons in a gun store in 1968, and they were selling at about $150. For another data point, I bought a 6 inch blue one in excellent condition in 1999, and it cost $630.

I wish I had bought every Python I could afford in 1968 and stored it in a vault.

birdman2002

Python

I just inherited a Colt Python, 6" Stainless with Colt "rubber" grips - New - never been fired but has been cocked many times...finish is perfect - Serial Number is T93367,- no box or paperwork - my question is how much additional value would purchasing a box with paperwork add to the value of this gun? I found some advertising the box with a label for around $100.00...another question, did the Pythons come available with a wooden Colt presentation box? Thanks for the help!!

ARDogman

I wish I had bought every Python I could afford in 1968 and stored it in a vault.

As for investment purposes, probably not the best one. Looking ONLY at inflations effects, $140 in 1968 had the same purchasing power as like $875 does in 2010. I'm almost positive that even CD's would have proven a better investment ($140 into a CD in 1968, never adding anything, just rolling it all the time.) That said, I'd rather have bought Python's than CD's...just 'cause they're cool.

dakota1911

I bought one of the SS Elite Pythons with a six inch barrel the last year Colt made them. It was around $1K brand new. I noticed that after Colt quit making DA revolvers the price on all of them jumped. Two weeks ago saw a blued 4 inch with no box, etc. that only had a couple small scratches for $950 at a gunstore down here in the SW.

skeeter

Most of the guys selling Colt factory boxes on Gunbroker/Auctionarms are selling counterfeit boxes that are printed in Tiawain or China. This is especially true if it has a blank label. Some buyers who are knowledgeable can spot the fact the gold foil label is too shiney and the size of the print is not correct among other things. They must be making a fortune at $165 to $185 per box and they seem to have an endless supply as their ads are running for over a year.
Someone would have to add the cost of the box to the gun and that would not make it a good deal for me. It is amazing what China is counterfeiting everything from AC Delco parts with AC Delco boxes, CD's, and substandard aircraft parts.