Colt Python rear sight drift (2020)

PushPuller

Hey everyone. Before I begin, I’d like to state that I have no knowledge of how the Colt Python is assembled so bare with me if I put my foot in my mouth.

A few months back I stumbled upon a brand new Python while I was 686 shopping and picked it up with no remorse and much excitement. I ran 100 rounds through it, it shot phenomenally and the zero is on the money! But somehow fondling it for 30 minutes in the store and at the range I managed to completely miss that the rear sight is drifted almost completely to the left. Normally I wouldn’t sweat it because it’s so accurate but honestly it really annoys me now that I noticed and especially because I paid $1300 for something that now irritates me. So my question is. Should I contact Colt about it or am I being to anal? I don’t even know if there is anything they can do. I’m not sure how they install the barrel but could it be crossthreaded/pressed in crooked? Any ideas or suggestions?

NoSecondBest

It’s not a cheap gun.....take it back and have the dealer send it back to Colt for evaluation. I have some ideas as to what’s wrong with it, but it’s up to Colt to check it out and take care of it. No reputable manufacturer wants guns like this to end up in the buyers hands. Being new, they’ll take care of it and it shouldn’t cost you a penny.

shurshot

I have sent a gun back to Colt, although it took a long, long time to get anybody to answer the phone, once I did, they took care of me. Colt stands for quality... they will make it right.

Pahoo

Send it back

So my question is. Should I contact Colt about it or am I being to anal?
By my measure, you are not being anal and you would be in good company. I have spent a lot less on "new" firearms and have had no reservations, on sending it back. It's a new Colt not a used firearm regardless, it needs to be fixed. .... :)

Take a recheck, just to make sure you might have missed something. .... :confused:

Be Safe !!!

Altonv

Okay hopefully you missed this, but on the 2020 Python there is a windage lock screw on the top of the site that you need to tighten down once your Python is sited in. See page 19 or 20 in your manual.

Altonv said:
Okay hopefully you missed this, but on the 2020 Python there is a windage lock screw on the top of the site that you need to tighten down once your Python is sited in. See page 19 or 20 in your manual.
I think you missed it. If I read the opening post correctly, the gun is sighted in and shoots to point of aim, so PushPuller doesn't need to adjust the rear sight. The problem he has is that to shoot to point of aim the rear sight came from the factory drifted way to the left. Sure, he can move it to the center -- but then the gun won't shoot to point of aim, it will shoot to the right.

Most likely the barrel isn't oriented perfectly vertical in the frame. It needs to go back to Colt.

NoSecondBest

Most likely the barrel isn't oriented perfectly vertical in the frame. It needs to go back to Colt.
My thinking exactly. Kind of common now days from all manufacturers....for reasons unknown. Old school machinists call it “timing” the barrel.

Last edited by a moderator:

ATCDoktor

I and the exact same condition arise with my 2020 Python.

As has been pointed out, there is a tiny “jam” nut on top of the front sight that needs to be tightened down to prevent it from moving under recoil.

The rear sight is not “click” adjustable for windage and the jam nut is what holds it in place as opposed to a detent in the sight mechanism.

Find a .050” Allen wrench, and once you’ve got the rear sight centered for the ammo your using “snug” it down.

Don’t over tighten that jam nut as it is so tiny it’ll surely strip.

Gratuitous pics of my 2020 Python

ATCDoktor said:
I and the exact same condition arise with my 2020 Python.
Your Python had to have the rear sight drifted far off center in order to shoot to point of aim?

As has been pointed out, there is a tiny “jam” nut on top of the front sight that needs to be tightened down to prevent it from moving under recoil.

The rear sight is not “click” adjustable for windage and the jam nut is what holds it in place as opposed to a detent in the sight mechanism.

Find a .050” Allen wrench, and once you’ve got the rear sight centered for the ammo your using “snug” it down.

Don’t over tighten that jam nut as it is so tiny it’ll surely strip.
What will that accomplish?

PushPuller's Python has to have the rear sight drifted way OFF center in order to shoot to point of aim. Moving the sight onto the center will result in the gun NOT shooting to point of aim. How is that helpful?

PushPuller

Hold on!! You bought a brand new Python for only $1300?
I had a couple gift cards stashed just in case I ever came across a 6" S&W 686. I just so happened to find the Python first and figured I probably wouldn't get a better deal on one and couldn't pass it up.

PushPuller

I think you missed it. If I read the opening post correctly, the gun is sighted in and shoots to point of aim, so PushPuller doesn't need to adjust the rear sight. The problem he has is that to shoot to point of aim the rear sight came from the factory drifted way to the left. Sure, he can move it to the center -- but then the gun won't shoot to point of aim, it will shoot to the right.

This is correct. It was zeroed from the first round right out of the box. I then went on enjoying the next 99 rounds and before I packed it up went to make sure that allen screw was snugged up (which it was) when I noticed how far off it was.

44 AMP

Staff
Small point of terminology, the rear sight is screw adjustable. It is not "drifted" with a punch and hammer, or a sight pusher.

Call Colt, explain the situation and do as they advise.

I would suggest returning the sight to center and then shooting it again, and with as many different kinds of ammo as you can, and see where they hit. IF possible, have other shooters use it and see where they hit.

Then if things are off call Colt.

You can zero the gun within the available range of sight adjustment, so its not "defective", but its not an example of the good work that the Python reputation is built on. Even the new ones are banking on that name's reputation.