Colt Python Problem (crane bushing)

stefano

Hi there,
Would be kind if someone could help or advice me on a problem with a beautiful Colt Python, production year 1981, recently purchased through an auction site.
The Python is in very good shape, still with an unscratched overall deep bluing, apparently not shot much, timing is ok, barrel gap to cylinder just perfect, action smooth.
However, only little problem is when closing the cylinder, the front of it touches the end of the barrel (forcing cone) just slightly, but enough to bind it shortly and probably wear it out if continuous use.
Once closed, however (by slightly pushing it back), all is perfect again, no binding, action is perfectly timed, barrel gap also, as mentioned. Inspection of the Cylinder, ratchet, and crane didn’t show any signs of incorrect assembly
It seems that what is called the crane bushing is too short on the crane and hence the cylinder touches the barrel, but when closed the same crane bushing now lies against the frame and gives just perfect barrel gap.
Is there is a possibility to change this crane bushing?? Does it come off the cylinder and if so, would it alter other things?
Are there any colt Python fans …
Thanks, Steve

Dfariswheel

There is no "crane bushing" on the Python.
There is an ejector rod bushing, but that simply serves to hold the ejector spring in position.
I think you mean the cylinder collar, which is the bushing-like ring on the front of the cylinder itself.

This is not a separate piece, it's machined with the cylinder and is not replaceable.
If the collar is too short from firing impact, you can have the Colt factory stretch it on a one-time basis.

If the collar is impact compressed, the gun will have cylinder end shake. That is, the cylinder will move back and forth in the frame when it's closed.
This may allow the cylinder to contact the barrel if the end shake is bad enough.

Here's how to determine if your Python has excessive cylinder end shake:
Push the closed cylinder to the rear and hold it there while you use an automotive feeler gage to gag the gap between the barrel and the cylinder.
Then push the cylinder forward and hold it there while you gage it again.
Subtract one measurement from the other and that's how much end shake there is.
Maximum acceptable Colt end shake is 0.003". Anything over that needs a factory repair.

If the gun does have excess end shake, this is a factory ONLY and I mean ONLY repair. Colt has to use a special hydraulic tool to stretch the cylinder collar then refit the cylinder.

From what you've described, I suspect the actual cause of the cylinder hitting the barrel when being closed is actually a sprung or bent cylinder crane.
Since Colt Pythons are so high priced these days, I strongly recommend sending the gun in to Colt for a proper diagnosis of the problem and a repair.
DO NOT take the gun to a local gunsmith, since almost no locals understand the Colt revolver these days, and will often make the situation worse.

To recap, I suspect a bent or sprung crane.
It probably got sprung by being dropped or someone "Bogarted" it by slamming the cylinder open and shut with a flick of the wrist. Looks good in the movies, damages guns in the real world.

Again, there is NOTHING you or any local gunsmith can do about the cylinder collar if it is a problem, only the factory has the tool to stretch it.

In most cases, Colt can properly diagnose and repair virtually any problem in less than one hour labor.
You don't take a Ferrari to the local gas station to get it repaired.

Standing Wolf

Member in memoriam
DO NOT take the gun to a local gunsmith, since almost no locals understand the Colt revolver these days, and will often make the situation worse.

That's worth repeating—but please do not ask how I know.

stefano

Thank you so much, indeed it is the cylinder collar, oh man!
Pretty good knowledge, wish we could shoot a few sessions togehther :)
i'm happy to have posted here.
Sadly you must be right and i just wrote to Colt in order to have it repaired and maybe if affordable to have it customized by the custom shop.
I still have to check end shake before shipping, just to see.
Before that i have to buy some gauges for it :) Could be of help in the future.
Thank you for your in depth explanation and good advice
Steve
Luxembourg

Dfariswheel

Colt will give it a full check up while they have it.
Once they receive it and look it over, they'll send you an invoice listing the needed repairs and the cost.

Most any repairs can be done in less then one hour, and the current cost of labor per hour is $80.00, plus parts if needed.
Turnaround time from Colt, once they get paid has always run around 30 days or less.