Colt python prices

RsqVet

Whats a shooter grade (altered barrel and hammer) 4 inch stainless python bring these days??

I am having a hard time determining internet from reality. Live / real world prices would be appreiated

stormyone

I'm not in to Pythons, but the price of them certainly defies reality. I would check Gunbroker and compare condition to some there. If I was to guess at yours, I would think $1,000 at least.

Venom1956

what do you mean by altered? a Worn python is worth far more then an altered one. 800 depending on the changes made would be my guess i'd need pictures.

JMC

The current going prices on Pythons and what people are willing to pay are insane.
I've owned a few in the past. I currently only have a '75 6" blue one and don't see myself shelling out the $'s for another. ;)
They are fine examples of how a quality firearm was once produced.

22-rimfire

You are probably looking at $2000+ for a stainless Python in pretty good condition. Unfortunately, the internet is reality with Pythons from a buyers perspective.

wpsdlrg

This is just an anecdote - for all the Python fans. I did a trade with a nice old guy not long ago and we got into conversation about some of the cool guns he has. So, he began pulling various guns out of one of his safes (he has about 5 full-size, upright safes lining the walls of his gun room !).

Out comes a 4" Python, in really good condition, EXCEPT that there is a nasty rust spot (deep pitting) on one side of the barrel....and another on the side of the muzzle. The rest of the gun is in very nice condition. Unfortunately, though that barrel may be shootable, it will never look good again. (I was incredulous as to why in the world the previous owner would allow something like that to happen.) Anyway, this guy mentions that he paid $500 for the gun. Then he pulls out a perfect, 4" Python barrel, which he says he paid "almost $400" for.

So, he has less than $900 in it. He is planning to send it to Colt, to have the barrel swapped and a factory refinish done. That won't be cheap, but nevertheless, the gun, once restored, may be worth as much as $2000 around here (perhaps more like $1600-$1800, I don't know). I saw a 6" Python go for $2300 at a gun show here, about a year ago - watched it happen.

That was not the only "treasure" he showed me that day, I promise you. He was very casual about the whole thing. I left shaking my head, just thinking......Wow.

JMC

IN 2006 I paid $905.00 OTD for my used 6" Python at a local gun/pawn shop.
The grips were not original to the gun.
In 2007 I sent it to Colt for a tune up due to light primer hits and asked them to return it back to factory specs.
This cost me $82.00. And they included a blue plastic Colt box for the return trip. :)
Not counting shipping to Colt, I have $987.00 in my 1975 6" and I consider that to be the top end as far as price that I will go for a used Python.
A couple of years ago I followed up on a lead of 4" blue Python for sale privately. When I made contact with the seller, he priced his Python at what he was reading on the Internet...he wanted $2000 for a shooter grade with no box or paperwork and worn grips.
Needles to say I passed on it and wished him luck with his sale.

Last edited:

22-rimfire

I also consider $1000 top end on a Python, which is probably why I will never own one again. I am just not willing to spend that kind of money on one. I like Diamondbacks a lot, but was never that fond of Pythons simply because my focus has always been 22's with Colt revolvers and I would rather spend the money on a 22 than a 357. My only regret is not buying more 38 spl Diamondbacks just to have them. It was a matter of completing the collection of Diamondbacks with all the factory variations.

The stainless Pythons run more than the traditional blued guns since they didn't make as many.

Honestly, I would buy a 686 S&W myself if I were looking for a shooter.

Clark

Looking at 1963 prices for Pythons, $125., if they appreciated like other guns an guitar at 3% compounded annually, a Python today would cost $581.

And that is probably about how much functionality they have.
I paid $1400 for mine two years ago, and it seems to have $581 in functionality.

I am not buying any more Pythons at these prices.

Since then I got a Colt Cobra for $425 that has only appreciated from $75 to $425 in 52 years is 3%.
I think it has $425 of functionality.
I would buy another.

22-rimfire

From a buyers perspective, I love the 3% appreciation approach. But that does not match reality. For example, even during the late 1980's, Pythons still ran about $500-$600 which is considerably more than 3% compounded annually relative to the 1963 retail price. During the high inflation time of the 70's (Jimmy Carter days), Colt was increasing the price on their revolvers three or four times a year. People developed the buy now or pay more later approach and was probably the beginning of the big credit card run-up.

Pythons are really nice revolvers and I have owned a number of them over the years with my first purchased in 1979 at about $400-$425 retail. I kept that one for years. Sold it just as prices were beginning to go up rapidly on Colt revolvers and invested the money into a NIB 6" Diamondback 38spl.

Savage99

I had a new Python 6". The forcing cone split on the barrel and while Colt put a new barrel on for me I sold the gun and I am glad it's gone.

I could never shoot it well. It's too barrel heavy for me.

Besides the Ruger revolvers are tougher and less expensive.

If I was into medium and big bore handguns again I would get an autoloader.

I have found that if you two hand support a auto by reaching out in front of the trigger guard under the barrel it steadies the aim much better than two hands on the grip of any handgun.

Clark

From a buyers perspective, I love the 3% appreciation approach. But that does not match reality.

There is background inflation, measurable in the changing metallurgy of the dated Roman or American coins, and most guns and guitars reflect that.

The 16 ga Mossberg bolt action shotgun has not kept up with inflation.
The Colt SAA and Python have increased in value more like 6%.
But those are extreme outliers.

~~90% of the guns and guitars stay right on the 3% compounded curve for 10 years, 50 years, or 100 years.

If you want to see something that is priced nuts, look a Tesla Motors stock.
The company needs to get 20X bigger for their 10k employees to justify the $26B capitalization.

The Python is only out of bed by a factor of 3 or 4.

22-rimfire

I am okay with the 3% inflation thing as a general rule. It is a guide just like any other valuation approach including using the Blue Book of Gun Values that so many put down. Pythons and Colt Single Actions are examples of guns that have appreciated quicker than the rule and as a result have been guns that some will use as "investments".

deblaw223

I have a 2" blued that I just plan on keeping. It's value is doing much better than the less than 1% my savings accounts earns