Colt Python - old v. new(er)....

Skans

Is there any perceived value difference between a later-made Colt Python and one made in the early '60's, condition being the same for both? Regardless of "perceived value", are there any practical differences between older and later Colt Pythons?

Don P

I don't think so. My Python was purchased in 1981 and I cannot tell the difference. One of the dealers I'm friendly with had a 4" Python from the mid 60's for sale and mine and his (to me now) seemed the same. Fit, finish, function

Dfariswheel

Usually Pythons made in the 1960's and earlier will bring higher prices.
This is because of a general belief that the earlier guns were better made.

Trouble is, you'll see some crappy Pythons made back then and some great one's made in the 80's and 90's.
Buying a gun based on nothing but the year made can get you a dog. Guns aren't vintages of wine.
You buy a gun based on the individual merits of THAT specific gun.

But, popular thought is that the older ones were better, so they do bring higher prices.

38 Super Fan

Early models usually bring better money, especially 50s models. I prefer early Pythons myself, Colt's QC really took a slide in the 70s, it wasn't as prominent with the Pythons as it was with every other model at Colt, but by and large I'd give early Pythons an edge in quality. As to practical differences, probably very little.

Last edited: