Colt Python Info

Ronin 99

Saw an ad for a used Python with a 4 inch barrel priced at $549. Very good condition with slight holster wear and a small nick near the front sight. Price seems a bit low to me. Going to check it out on Tuesday. What do I need to know so I don't get tooken. They also have a 6 inch model without the ding for $599. Both are blued. What do you guys think? Which one or should I go for both?
Ronin

lonegunman

Personally, i think those prices are pretty good if the guns are as described.

I would try to get the one in the best condition.

Dfariswheel

Things to check:
1. Look for dinked up side plate screws. If so, someone may have been inside doing God knows what.

2. SLOWLY cock the hammer until it locks back. See if the cylinder turns further and you hear a "click". This means the gun is out of time.

3. Slowly cock the hammer again, and watch the cylinder locking bolt inside the lower frame. Watch and listen to see WHERE the bolt drops back onto the cylinder. It should drop about 1/2 the way down in the "leade" in front of the cylinder notch. The "leade" is the small ramp before each cylinder locking notch.
If it drops too early, the cylinder will get marked up. To late and the cylinder may "throw by" or turn too far during double action firing.

4. Look at the front of the frame where the cylinder crane meets the frame. Try to rock the cylinder in and out. There should be only a small amount of movement.

5. Cock the hammer and give it a firm push forward. It should not uncock.

6. Open the cylinder and spin it. Watch the ejector rod to see if it wobbles. It should have very little or none.

7. Spin the cylinder to see if it turns freely.

8. Try to move the cylinder back and forth in the frame. There should be only a tiny amount of movement.

9. Slowly cock the hammer and watch the cylinder lock bolt to see if it drops away from the locking notch, BEFORE the cylinder begins to turn. Also look at the edges of the notches to see if the edges are battered and rounded.

I think both prices are good. If it's a field gun, I wouldn't worry about the nick on the 4" barrel.

BTW, if you want to learn how a Python operates, do a search in the Smithy forum under my name.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Greeting's All;

If the condition of both are as stated, I think I would opt for the 6" barrel Python. Just something
about shooting the 6" model, with the Pythons fine
accuracy. Of couse, it wouldn't make much of a
CCW weapon; but I use all Sig autoloader's for
that, anyway. Let us know which one you choose,
and be sure to give us a range report.:):D

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

taco

Get the 6" model. They are both good price but if I had to choose one I wouls go with the 6" model because 6" Pythons just look so good.

I have an older 6" blued Python and my wife calls it the "sexy one".

justinr1

If both guns are in as good condition as you imply, and
Dfariswheel , if your excellent sanity checks prove out, I would buy the 6 inch. Its sexier, which is an attribute that is not hard on any Python. Just pretend its a long legged blonde! Go for the 6 inches, you won't regret it!

justinr1