Colt Python cleaning question

Jimmy10mm

I recently picked up a 6" Python and took it to the range yesterday for the first time. Shoots very nicely. So I want to clean it and would like to pull the crane/cylinder like I do with the S&W revolvers. Is the procedure the same as with the Smith, loosening the screw on the right hand side of the frame and pulling the crane out ? Thanks in advance. BTW, I know about the Kuhnhausen book and intend to get a copy but I'd like to clean the gun up today. :)

Olympus

To remove the cylinder and crane, remove the large head "screw" from the right side of the frame, just above the trigger. This is actually a cap screw. Under the screw is a spring and plunger. Remove them, then rotate the cylinder so one of the flutes lines up with the bulge on the frame. Slide the cylinder and crane forward and off the frame.

I wouldn't recommend doing this often though. More chances of nicking and/or marring the screwhead or frame. I guess if the gun is "shooter" condition then it wouldn't matter as much.

Jimmy10mm

Thanks for the info Olympus. It is in better condition than just a shooter but I will use a properly fitting screwdriver and take care when I do the job.
python2.jpg

Standing Wolf

Member in memoriam
Under the screw is a spring and plunger. Remove them, then rotate the cylinder so one of the flutes lines up with the bulge on the frame. Slide the cylinder and crane forward and off the frame.
I wouldn't recommend doing this often though.

I agree and disagree. I always remove the cylinder and crane from any revolver I'm cleaning. Here's what I do:

1. I always double- and triple-check to make sure the gun in unloaded. Sounds obvious? It ought to be, but isn't obvious enough.
    I always remove the stocks. It takes an extra 10–30 seconds, and saves the high cost of replacing stocks stained with cleaning solutions.
    I always use the right screw driver. The blade needs to be the exact width and thickness of the cut in the screw. If it's not, you'll sooner or later scratch the screw, the revolver, or both. Screw drivers are a lot cheaper than guns.
  2. I always use the right screw driver carefully. That's self-evident, right? I've bought more than one or two revolvers marked down because screws were buggered by careless owners. I don't mind replacing screws on a bargain-priced gun; I do mind replacing them on new guns whose screws I've buggered.
  3. I always remove the cylinder and crane, and let them soak in a jar of Hoppe's No. 9 while I'm cleaning the frame and barrel. Let the cleaning agent do as much of the cleaning as possible. Smith & Wesson cranes are readily removable from cylinders; Colt cranes aren't. Yes, you can disassemble cylinder assemblies, but no, it's not something to do every time you clean the gun.
  4. I always clean cylinder bores with a larger caliber brush than the gun's caliber. How come? Cylinder bores are larger than barrel bores.
  5. I always chuck cleaning brushes in a variable speed drill for cylinder bores. I use slow and moderate speeds so I don't spatter cleaning agents and crud all over the kitchen. Nota bene: if you're married, don't even think about cleaning guns on the kitchen counter. Trust me on this.
  6. I use brass-bristled brushes first, then switch to Nylon-bristled brushes to remove any copper left by brass-bristled brushes.
  7. I use lots of oil, then remove most of it with dry patches at the end of the process. Do I use more oil than needed? You bet! Like screw drivers, oil is a lot less expesive than guns.
  8. I always reassemble guns carefully. Unlike computers, guns don't have an undo function, which is to say: there's no way to un-ding or un-scratch a gun.
If you're careful when you remove the cylinder and crane for cleaning, you'll end up with a cleaner gun in less time with less effort; conversely, if you're not careful, you'll regret it.

longranger

After you follow Standing Wolfs procedure wax you gun, cylinder and all,you will thank me after your next shooting session.Clean up is a breeze.
Wax' no cleaner wax ! it will pull off bluing, high quality caranuba,Cheap and good wax is Johnson Paste wax for floors expensive is Rennaisance wax specifically for metal and wood,museums use this for their firearms.I do not oil any of my guns anymore it attracts airborne dirt,migrates/transfers and affords no protection.
Pulling grips, loosen grip screw with proper screw driver and when nearly completely free push the screw in direction of the opposite grip panel.This will "push off " the grip with out having to use a tool to try and pry off a tight fitting grip.