Colt Python box ----Ebay, are these new/fake ones?

AirCool65

It looks original, but I can't understand why anyone in their right mind would pay $155 for a cardboard box.

KyJim

I find it exceedingly coincidental that since Sept. 11, 2013 all his boxes for Pythons from 1964-71 have apparently been in the same "mint" condition since he has sold them all at identical prices of $155 each. Even if he had found that many boxes, you would think they would vary more in condition.

James K

Member In Memoriam
I honestly don't know if the box is fake or not, but I do know that at one point Colt sold off all kinds of stuff trying to get out of the hole financially. Those boxes might be genuine, unused boxes.

Jim

gyvel

I think this is the same guy who had an "original" pre-war Colt Woodsman Match Target box for sale ($285.00). When I questioned him about it, his answer was very vague and ambiguous.

I have to say that, if they are fakes, they're darn good ones.

Last edited:

Sevens

It looks original, but I can't understand why anyone in their right mind would pay $155 for a cardboard box.
If you've seen how Pythons change hands at gun shows, you'd have a better idea of why someone would pay that kind of a money for a box. It doesn't have to sound rational (or be rational) but it is real.

Put two Pythons next to each other, identical in every possible way. Maybe even consecutively numbered. Except one has the box, the other doesn't.

If these guns are mint, the one with the box is way ahead.

Check emotions at the door, this is fact established by precedent.

357 Python

I would be very suspicious of this box. He claims to have already sold 111 and has 10 left, all in mint condition. My first Python (bought in 1979) came in a cardboard outer box with a styrofoam insert and only the styrofoam insert exists today and is in pretty bad shape. His box looks like it was just made.

superpelly

After doing much research, these appear to be reproduction boxes. The guy selling these is no stranger to other Gun forums and The Firing Line.

Gaz_in_NZ

Why would ya do it???

Can someone please explain to me just why somebody would be willing to pay $155 for a card board box? Even if it does have Colt written on it.

I'd rather put the cash towards another gun, another reloading press, or buy a damn fine bottle of Single Malt Whisky.

On the other hand you could just buy a card board box to look at...

If this is true : -More than 10 available / 111 sold
Then he's made over 17 grand selling empty boxes...:eek:
I wish I'd have thought of doing that, I could use the $17,000 round about now...

Mystified somewhat
Gaz

Last edited:

AirCool65

I wish I'd have thought of doing that, I could use the $17,000 round about now...

You and me both... I'm obviously in the wrong business.

I guess my problem is that I very rarely sell anything, so what things are worth to other people isn't that important to me. I guess that kind of explains the 9 cars in the driveway, too. :)

Dfariswheel

Can someone please explain to me just why somebody would be willing to pay $155 for a card board box? Even if it does have Colt written on it.

Because you can add one of his fake end labels and suddenly the nice used Python with no box is now a like new in the box Python and hundreds of dollars more expensive.

When something becomes in great demand, fakers and counterfeiters crawl out to make a profit on the unwary.
Right now you can buy fake boxes, fake end labels, fake owner's manuals, fake papers, fake hang tags, and so help me, fake plastic bags the guns came in.

Also, fake Colt factory Archive letters are showing up, complete right down to the embossing.
If you're buying a rare, expensive Colt these days, a smart buyer gets his OWN Archive letter from Colt.

Slamfire

That seller has a lot of different boxes for sale!

He could make a fair profit selling them as repro's, but he must be making so much more money claiming they are original.

superpelly

I send him a email asking if these were vintage orginals from Colt. Heres what he said.

"I buy Pistol collections and literature and Pistol Boxes all over the USA ---As far as I know they are 100% original in every aspect and detail---I can only tell you what I know--The people I buy from are mostly retired workers from Colt and Browning and Etc. and old Colt Box Suppliers--They tell me they got them where they worked and I wasn't there to verify this?? May be some seconds??---But all my products look original to me and 100% mint old stock"

Fake
The fake ones have miter cuts on all 4 corner's (inside lower box) the orginals from Colt don't .
http://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...gi=13ath3iom&.crumb=jeFIGAPwxnZ&fr=yfp-t-900#

Real

http://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...igi=13bake492&.crumb=jeFIGAPwxnZ&fr=yfp-t-901

Last edited:

James K

Member In Memoriam
Lots of differences in those boxes, and I have real ones and can really see the differences; thanks, Superpelly.

Jim

hAkron

He does have 100% feedback on eBay, so it would seem that none of his customers were disappointed, for whatever that is worth.

There was a guy recently on eBay who was selling off the estate of his deceased parents, one of whom works for a time as some type of production manager for Dan Wesson, he had some unbelievable items for sale, though he was better able to verify authenticity given that he had a picture of Dad's work ID, but my point is, there is some crazy, legitimate stuff out there.

Last edited:

twhidd

He does have 100% feedback on eBay, so it would seem that none of his customers were disappointed, for whatever that is worth.
If I'm not mistaken, I don't think you can leave negative feedback on Ebay anymore. I could be wrong.

royal barnes

The boxes are fake!!! He is well known on the Colt Forum. As to why anyone would buy one of these dubious pieces of cardboard just remember "there's one born every minute".:rolleyes: