Colt Police Positive Special

grymster2007

I might be acquiring a Colt Police Positive Special, .38 SPCL and I think a 4” barrel. It belongs to my Mother’s husband and I haven’t seen it in years. I don’t know its vintage. It was in excellent condition last I saw it and I know he hasn’t shot it since.

Any comments on these revolvers?

Any ideas if it would handle occasional +P ammunition?

Smaug

If it was clean last time you saw it, and it has been kept dry, it will be fine. That is the beauty of a revolver.

Being an all steel gun, it would probably handle +P OK, but I'm not sure. You might do a google search on "colt police positive +P" and see what you come up with.

Majic

D-frame Colts were only certified for a certain number of +P loads and then it was suggested to have the factory inspect the frame for stretching. A lot of them have seen probably half their life using the +P loads.

grymster2007

If I get it, I'd probably like to plink a bit with mild ammunition and only shoot enough +P to feel comfortable for HD purposes. I wouldn't want to get in to having the frame checked for stretching though.

rgillis

Personally I might trust +p out of the larger framed Colts, and I'm sure a Police Positive could handle a limited diet of +p. But why risk screwing up the timing on such a nice little piece of history?

BillCA

A lot will depend on the age of the Colt. If it is an older 3rd-issue or prior, then +P ammo should be very limited or not used at all.

The fourth issue (shown below) was made in 77-78 and again in 1994-95. These should handle a modest diet of +P but the bulk of your shooting should be with standard pressure loads.

CPP_0545.jpg

My rule of thumb is to never shoot +P in any colt old enough to have the unsupported or unshrouded extractor rod.

Majic

Despite what a lot of folks think the 158 grain LSWCHP still does a lot of damage in it's standard pressure loads. Todays want of more and more powerful loads just isn't warranted IMO. So standard pressure loads are not no real disadvantage to you.