Colt Police Positive Special

dr.magnum

I picked up this nice little Colt at the gun show over the weekend. It is 38spl., 4 inch barrel, target grips.
The serial number in the crane is 9653xx. I didn't see any letter in front of it. Is this a 1968 model?
Also, is it safe to shoot +P ammo in these?
By the way, this had very nice bluing, locks up tight, and I got it for $200.

Dfariswheel

Sounds like a 1968. Colt was sometimes lax about the letter in those transition days.

I hesitate to recommend the use of +P ammo in the pre-1972 small Colt's, since Colt themselves specifically did NOT recommend it.

Most people did and do load up with +P ammo for "business" carry, but most figured that if they had to use it, increased wear and tear of the gun would be the LEAST of their worries.

Bottom line is, ANY use of +P ammo will increase wear on the gun, but small amounts likely won't do any harm.

Since the "D" frame has been discontinued and there are no replacement frames available from Colt, you're on your own on the +P ammo.

dr.magnum

I had the chance to do more surfing through the net last night and found almost universal agreement that +P is a very bad idea. I really like this little gun so it won't see any hot ammo that might hurt it. Thanks guys.:)