Colt Police Positive Birthday

BillCA

I just picked up a very clean Colt Police Positive Special. Can anyone tell me when this gun, S/N 1539XR was manufactured?

For those of you who are visually oriented here are a couple of pics. The photos don't do it justice as I had to gamma-correct them to show the detail. Bluing is that lovely deep Colt midnight blue.

Cpp_0376.jpg
Those grips gotta go. Besides Pachmyers any suggestions are welcome.

Cpp_0380.jpg

I was a bit rushed taking these pics so hopefully I'll have better photos soon.

Dfariswheel

Colt PPS #1539XR was made in 1978.

The R series picked up that year at 11701R, and the R series ended sometime later that year at 58888R.

gordo b.

Those grips are nice! My gun which is the same as yours, wears the sucky looking thumbrest grips it came with , the same as Diamond backs of this vintage. They do, how ever work VERY well, as I suspect those nice looking grips of yours will! :)

Sir William

Nice! I like those grips. I was lucky yesterday and found some HKS speedloaders and Pachmayr grips for my Police Positive Special. Now, where to find good leather? How about a Barney Fife swivel duty rig?

BillCA

Grips are very subjective. These feel like there's a swelling in the grip that will press right against the soft tissue area just below the thumb (as you're holding the gun downrange). To me, they feel awkward and don't inspire confidence. I'll have to at least give them a try.

Sir William said:
Now, where to find good leather? How about a Barney Fife swivel duty rig?

LOL! :D
How about one of those old NYPD holsters -- with the cutout trigger area and the strap no one uses? Or dare I say an early 1970's "clamshell" holster? :eek: :D