colt police positive .38.

eastbank

just got a colt police positive .38 with a four inch barrel, black plastic colt grips serial number292xx in ex con inside, 70 percent outside. does it take 38 S&W shells or 38 colt shells? and what year was it made and would it be a got house gun?. thanks eastbank. PS. paid 125.00 for it, was that good?.

357WheelGun

.38 S&W is the same as .38 Colt New Police.

If the revolver says "Police Positive Special" then it is chambered for .38 Special and will use that. This is probably not the case though.

If it is a regular Police Positive, it was made in 1909, if it is a Special, it was made in 1910.

Without seeing the gun, it's hard to say if you got a good deal or not. In good shape, they can go for ~$250, and like new versions may command over $400, but it sounds like yours is cosmetically a little beaten up, so you probably got an average deal.

As for whether it's a decent house gun, that depends largely on how accurate you are when you shoot it. It should be reliable, but it's not a terribly powerful loading. Still, it will do its job if you do yours.

eastbank

hi,no. i,m from centeral pa. i got the gun from a man in conn. it is a solid little gun. ex.bore and ex chambers in the cylinder. just has blueing wear. eastbank.

357 Python

If it is a Police Positive Special and will take 38 Special ammo do not use the +P type in it. I'm not saying anything bad will happen but the PPS was not made for the +P pressures. With the older Colts or any revolver for that matter ere on the side of caution when choosing ammo.

eastbank

i,m sure it takes the 38 new colt or 38 s&w shell. i got it for a lite carry gun when hiking and snooping around in the woods before hunting season and a gun for one of the rooms in my house. other than the blueing wear from being carried a lot, it,s in ex con. and for 125.00 i thought what the hell. eastbank.