Colt Official Police, Before & After

lamarw

Back in December I acquired subject revolver for a song & a dance with an old worn and rough nickel finish. The revolver, itself, was in good mechanical condition locking up tight and a great shooter.

It was shipped from Colt on Dec. 22, 1941 to a hardware store in New Orleans by the name of Stauffer Eshleman & Co. The revolver came from Louisiana just prior to me acquiring it; therefore I suspect it spent all its life in the gator state.

I sent it off to Mahovsky's for a nickel refinish. In my opinion, he did a great job with it and had it back to me in a month.

Without set time for the stain & urethane, the display stand only took an hour or so to construct. I have a glass cover coming from eBay for it.

The before picture does not accurately reflect just how bad the condition of the old finish. The after picture does not reflect just how beautiful the new
finish is on the old Colt.

Attachments

• Colt Official Police,Before.jpg
    Colt Official Police,Before.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 197
  • Colt Official Police, After.jpg
    Colt Official Police, After.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 208

lamarw

Viper99, I paid significantly less than blue book value of a 40% condition revolver (Pre-War Official Police Model).

My total investment (re-nickel) is a little less than the book value of a 70% revolver. I am referencing an outdated Fjestad Blue Book.

Clark

lamarw

Thanks for posting that.
I love old Colts that work.
I may be a D- machinist, but I am C+ woodworker.
I could clone your handgun stand.
I would like to wake up in the morning and see an old Colt between me and the digital radio clock.

WC145

It looks terrific. Mahovsky's does nice work at very reasonable prices, I had them hard chrome a beat down S&W M10 for me and it came out great.

lamarw

Hey Clark, If you are going to make a stand for a Colt Official Police, let me know. I will provide your the measurements I used to make mine. It was simple enough, but I had to make some adjustments prior to the revolver fitting correctly in the stand.

I kind of had to eyeball it based upon one of this style on the internet.