Colt Official Police .38 spl

swissfist

I just became the proud owner of a Colt Official Police revolver in .38 spl, that was either born in 1941 or 1963. In either case, it's in way better shape than I expected. The bluing I'd put at 80-90%, lockup is tight as new, trigger smooth as butter. I'm told it was a police turn, because of the 4 digit "badge" number on the back strap but there is no holster wear to speak of. My experience with Colts has been limited and I'm told that these particular models were built on the same frames used for the Python models. If anyone can share some in depth knowledge about this piece I would certainly appreciate it. I'll add pics when I get a chance. I'm teaching a Taser class at the moment and I'm just amusing myself while they are sweating thru a test.

Ernest T Bass

the Barney Fife gun

I have one that was manufacured in 1960. I purposely bought one from that year because that was the first year that the Andy Griffith Show was on the air, and that was the exact sidearm that Deputy Barney Fife carried! I'm a huge Andy Griffith Show fan, and I always wanted a gun just like Barney.

Mine was a beat-up police turn-in, but I sent it to Ford's Custom Gun Refinishing and they did an AMAZING job restoring it. Here's a photo that I took after they were done with it. My photo doesn't do it justice at all. Ford's does amazing work.

BarneyGun.jpg

Sarge

I love Colt fixed sight service revolvers, from the New Service forward.

That's a great old OP, Ernest T.

Dfariswheel

Check the serial number on the Colt look-up system.
This will likely show a number of Colt models it could be, because Colt started most models off at serial number 1.
So you can have a number of Colt's with the same serial number.

https://www.colt.com/serial-lookup

A quick way to ID a pre or post war Colt is the pre-war had a round front sight and checkering on the cylinder release, the post-war had no checkering and a ramped front sight with grooving.

In 1908 Colt introduced the Army Special. Since the Army never bought it, but the police did, in 1927 Colt re-named it the Official Police, and made it virtually unchanged until 1969.

The Army Special/Official Police was the base frame and action for all Colt medium frame DA revolvers up to 1969, including the Colt Python.
The design was changed so slightly over the years that many 2000's Colt Python parts could be interchanged with a 1908 Army Special.

Here's some basic info on the Army Special and Official Police..........

https://web.archive.org/web/20200226015714/http://www.coltfever.com/Home_Page.html

swissfist

Wow, thanks for the info. My front sight is indeed rounded. These links will definitely keep occupied for a bit. My thanks to you sir.

5whiskey

I have been in the market for one. They used to be quite reasonably priced, but those days are coming to an end. I fancy myself a firearm collector, especially from 1900 on... I really would like a pre-war S&W Hans ejector and a pre-war official police. I have a barely post war hand ejector (1949), and no official police. Sigh, once day before they become too overpriced.

jetinteriorguy

I have one that was manufacured in 1960. I purposely bought one from that year because that was the first year that the Andy Griffith Show was on the air, and that was the exact sidearm that Deputy Barney Fife carried! I'm a huge Andy Griffith Show fan, and I always wanted a gun just like Barney.

Mine was a beat-up police turn-in, but I sent it to Ford's Custom Gun Refinishing and they did an AMAZING job restoring it. Here's a photo that I took after they were done with it. My photo doesn't do it justice at all. Ford's does amazing work.

View attachment 113956
So, do you carry more than one bullet in your shirt pocket?

CajunBass

I think the Colt OP is one of the finest 38 Special revolvers ever made. When I was a very young man, I took a job with a big security company. I was asked if I had ever fired a gun. I'd hunted since I was a kid, so I said yes. Next thing I knew I was an "armed guard." I was issued a Sam Brown belt, a Jordan border patrol type holster, six rounds of RNL 38 Special ammo, and a Colt Official Police revolver with Franzite "pearl" grips. I'd never fired a handgun in my life, except maybe a few rounds in a 22 S/A. My training consisted of being told "Don't shoot yourself, or anyone else unless you have to." and being issued a little booklet called "You and your revolver."

I never fired that gun. Finally a couple of years after I stopped working for the company (I never actually quit now that I think about it. I just stopped working.) they called me and asked if I still had it. If I did would I mind dropping it off at the office soon. They were doing inventory and had one missing. I did.

Things were different back then.

I've owned other OP's since then, but that's the one I always think about when the topic comes up.

swissfist

Cajun Bass, that's a great story, you should have kept it. These "old" wheel guns we all go nuts over are so much more than just tools, they are a window into a time when " built to last" actually meant something. The design, alchemy and craftsmanship of these beauties is so far beyond all this lightweight, overpriced, Tupperware-tacticrap,and its kinda sad. No one less than the French are still producing the Manurhin for Special service units, glad to know someone still is producing a wheel gun that the good guys are proud to carry.

CajunBass

Cajun Bass, that's a great story, you should have kept it. These "old" wheel guns we all go nuts over are so much more than just tools, they are a window into a time when " built to last" actually meant something. The design, alchemy and craftsmanship of these beauties is so far beyond all this lightweight, overpriced, Tupperware-tacticrap,and its kinda sad. No one less than the French are still producing the Manurhin for Special service units, glad to know someone still is producing a wheel gun that the good guys are proud to carry.
Awww That was a different time. That six shot, blue steel revolver was all we knew back then. When I hold one of my Colt Python's, and then pick up my Glock 19, and then think, which would I rather carry if I was still prowling around a dark warehouse at night? The Glock wins every time. Something I thought I'd never say until I actually tried a Glock.

Which would I rather take out, fondle, wax, and take to the range? The Python.

Drm50

Time flys but it hasn’t been that long ago the Colt and S&W service grade revolvers were fairly inexpensive. I would say other than Colts top of the line revolvers that S&W outdid them. The fit and finish were there on Colt DAs but the design of running gears was not as durable as S&Ws.

I picked up a 6" Official Police for a song about 10 years ago. Really fantastic trigger on it, and it's a lot of fun to shoot.

jar

I have and often carry a Colt Army Special that was the predecessor to the Official Police. Mine was made in 1919 and is still a joy to use.

Attachments

• Army-Special-and-Hume-small.jpg
    Army-Special-and-Hume-small.jpg
    357.4 KB · Views: 31

swissfist

Cajun Bass, I see the logic of your point, and given what the BG of today is running around with, at the end of the day, chances are with the Colt, you'd be out gunned. In which case my choice would be Mr. Browning's P-35 Hi Power, loaded with 147gr +p HPs.

Seedy Character

I would love to a few of those old Colts.
Wish I would have picked up the good deals I passed, because I was looking for something else, at the time.

A .32NP, .32-20, and .a Barney would be a great trio

"A .32NP, .32-20, and .a Barney would be a great trio "

I have all three...

A Colt Police Positive in .32 Colt New Police (or, as it's marked, .32 Police) made in the early 1930s.

A Colt Police Positive Special in .32-20 that was made later in the 1930s.

My Official Police.

It is a great trio!

gwpercle

Check the serial number on the Colt look-up system.
This will likely show a number of Colt models it could be, because Colt started most models off at serial number 1.
So you can have a number of Colt's with the same serial number.

https://www.colt.com/serial-lookup

A quick way to ID a pre or post war Colt is the pre-war had a round front sight and checkering on the cylinder release, the post-war had no checkering and a ramped front sight with grooving.

In 1908 Colt introduced the Army Special. Since the Army never bought it, but the police did, in 1927 Colt re-named it the Official Police, and made it virtually unchanged until 1969.

The Army Special/Official Police was the base frame and action for all Colt medium frame DA revolvers up to 1969, including the Colt Python.
The design was changed so slightly over the years that many 2000's Colt Python parts could be interchanged with a 1908 Army Special.

Here's some basic info on the Army Special and Official Police..........

https://web.archive.org/web/20200226015714/http://www.coltfever.com/Home_Page.html
Thanks for posting the links to the Colt Archives and serial number info ,it is Awesome Info ! my Dad left me a Colt Police Positive Special and I knew absolutely nothing about double action Colts ... I saved the link in the computer (bookmarked ?) and printed out the history of the Police Positve Special ... I like to keep printed stuff ... computer stuff sometimes goes away to never land .
Great resource site and I needed the information ...
Thanks Again ,
Gary

Last edited:

bedbugbilly

I have a Colt Army Special - in 38 with a ^" barrel. Mine was made in 1910 and is about 90% - a great shooter. My excuse for buying it was that it was introduced in 1908 - the same year that the Model T was introduced and the same year my Dad was born. In 1927 - the name was changed to Official Police - the same year my Dad graduated from high school. Sometimes you just need a good excuse to warrant the purchase of a firearm.

OP - enjoy your Official Police and have fun!