Colt Officer's Model .22 questions?

boa2

1)What are the specific differences between an Colt OM and an OMT made in 1937-1938? The reason I'm asking this, is because I saw one of these with a serial number in the 19500 range and I thought that it was an OMT-but, the barrel is just marked as an Officer's Model?

2)With either of the above two guns in approximate 98% condition, and being the same vintage, would there be any difference in value-or, would these be valued the same(Regardless of these different barrel markings?)?

3)REGARDING PROPER CYLINDER TIMING?: The OM I'm looking at, there is no cylinder end shake to speak of and this gun is very tight. No hammer push off. I noticed that whenever I cocked the hammer really slow, that the cylinder didn't quite reach the bolt notch and therefore, it took just a slight bit more cylinder rotation(Nudged by hand)to lock up? However, Whenever I cocked the hammer in the normal way, as I would for single action target shooting, the cylinder bolt would lock up normally, without any problems! When pulling the trigger in double action mode normally, the cylinder would also lock up properly. Next, while holding the hammer while pulling the trigger(To prevent dry firing)and then releasing the hammer and lowering it all the way down, while holding the trigger back firmly(Not really hard)then, the cylinder would lock up as solid as a bank vault)! My question here is, if the problem of the cylinder not locking up while cocking the hammer in an extremely slow manner, is anything to worry about-or, if this indicates that the timing is out enough, to mean that there is a problem? If so, should I pass up buying this gun? I don't want to pass this OM up, if this doesn't mean anything or isn't out of the ordinary for these particular revolvers?

BillCA

Boa,

No problem with the .22's lock timing. Colts are simply a precision instrument, more so than S&W's. You'll find your Colt Pythons are timed about the same way.

On a Colt, as the hammer begins to move, the bolt disengages and remains retracted until the cylinder turns far enough that the bolt engages in the "ramp" to the cylinder notch. In Double-Action mode, the cylinder does not lock up until the hammer reaches the apex of its arc -- just before it lets off. If you cock the hammer first, it moves back beyond the DA letoff point and the bolt should engage the notch.

If you use a light friction drag on the cylinder and cock a Colt slowly and stop with the hammer just at the DA letoff, the cylinder bolt may not engage until the hammer moves that extra 1/64" before it starts forwards. Very precise.

Dfariswheel

The situation of the hammer reaching full cock, but the cylinder bolt having not locked into the cylinder locking notch is the most common of Colt out-of-time conditions.

It's fairly common, but it IS out of time and is NOT right.

The "fix" can be as simple as stretching the hand, or it could require replacement if it's been stretched before.
(WARNING: stretching the hand is NOT done HOW or WHERE you might think. Don't try this at home).

As long as you insure the cylinder does lock up completely before the hammer drops, the gun is in usable condition.
Since the Officer's Model's were genuine Target revolvers intended to be fired single action, this should not be a problem.

Some one, (you??) asked a similar question about the differences of the pre-war Officer's Models.
Here's the info:

Pre-WWII there were three "issues" or versions of the Officer's Model.

These pre-war models were "officially" named as the Officer's Model Target, but were usually MARKED as the Officer's Model.
It's likely there were variations of barrel markings over these pre-war years with "Target" being stamped on the barrel or not.

The First issue was made from 1904 to 1908, and was totally different from later guns. These had the side plate on the RIGHT side of the frame, and the cylinder rotated counter-clockwise.
This early version was a target version of the Colt New Navy.

The Second Issue was made from 1908 to 1926.
This is the more familiar Colt Mid-frame with the side plate on the LEFT side and the cylinder rotating clockwise.
This is the target version of the Army Special/Official Police.

The Third Issue was made from 1927 to 1949 and other than having a heavier barrel, is essentially the same gun as the Second Issue.

Simply due to the lower production, the Second Issue made from 1908 to 1926 would "possibly" have a little more value.

boa2

dfariswheel:

Thanks, you have cleared everything up for me regarding the differences between an OM and an OMT! Although the OMT .22 in question is a very nice gun, I'm disappointed in the fact that it is out of time! I will have to pay $800 to obtain this revolver and, I'd sure like it better if this gun were in 100% mechanical condition! There is one other identical 1938 vintage OMT .22 in this same gun shop-but, the finish has a few minor flaws in it that the first OMT .22 doesn't have. And, the stocks are the Coltwood plastic stocks with silver emblems and not the nicer, dark wood stocks on the first OMT .22! However, the timing is OK on this second OMT! The first OMT .22 might have been shot more but, I don't think that it was quite as well cared for as this second OMT? It's still a nice gun though! However because of a small, circular blemish on the right side of the frame on this second OMT .22, approximately 2/3 the diameter of a small pencil eraser, that goes completely through the bluing, this revolver was priced at $50 less than the first revolver!

Dfariswheel

If the second gun IS a 1938 Colt, the grips have been switched.

From 1927 up until WWII, Colt revolvers had checkered walnut grips with Silver medallions, and had the serial number penciled inside.

The plastic "Coltwood" grips appeared during WWII, and the plastic grips with Silver medallions were from the early 1950's.